Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The first-place Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (20-10) built an early lead and never looked back in a 9-3 win over the Kokomo Jackrabbits (10-21) on Sunday.
Jake Dunham posted an RBI single in the bottom of the first to put the Rafters on the board first. Richie Schiekofer tacked on another run with an RBI single an inning later to make it 2-0.
Matt Oldham launched the first pitch he saw in the third inning over the right-field wall for a three-run homer that put Rapids on top 5-0 heading to the fourth. Kokomo clawed their way back into the game with one run in the fifth and two in the sixth
Leading 5-3 in the seventh inning, the Rafters put the game out of reach with RBIs by Osvaldo Tovalin, Noah Thigpen and Edarian Williams in a three-run frame. Davion Downey capped off the scoring with a leadoff solo homer in the eighth.
Starter Jack Sinclair gets the win for Wisconsin Rapids, striking out four batters in 5.2 innings of work. Winston Allen closed the game with no hits in the ninth. Lucas Folmar is credited with the loss as the starter for Kokomo.
The Rafters are now three games ahead of Fond du Lac with a magic number of three to clinch a spot in the 2019 Northwoods League playoffs and home field advantage.
Wisconsin Rapids hits the road for a two-game series against the Kenosha Kingfish on Monday and Wednesday, bookending Tuesday's Major League Dream Showcase in Madison. When the team returns to Historic Witter Field Thursday, they will face the Madison Mallards with special entertainment by the ZOOperstars! presented by Aspirus Riverview Hospital and Clinics.
As the Rafters gear up for a late-season run, you can experience the postseason action firsthand. For more information on playoff ticket offerings visit Raftersbaseball.com, call the Rafthouse at 715-424-5400, or visit historic Witter Field. The Rafters ticket office is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at Witter Field, 521 Lincoln Street in Wisconsin Rapids.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters 2020 Pitching Staff Continues to Heighten
- Rafters May Day Community Experience An Enormous Success
- Rafters Bring Back Mid-State Technical College Free Tuition Tuesdays
- Rafters Reschedule Derek Jones Benefit Concert to August 29th
- Rafters Bring Back Two 2019 Northwoods League Standouts