Express Defeat Stingers
Willmar, MN - The Eau Claire Express (16-11, 35-40) defeated the Willmar Stingers (14-14, 36-28) at Bill Taunton Stadium on Saturday night. The Express came back after Willmar took an early lead to win 4-2.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
The Stingers got on the board first after scoring one run on a walk, two stolen bases, and a single.
Cole Cabrera (Cal Poly) showed power to tie the game for the Express in the top of the 3rd inning. The sophmore blasted a solo shot over the left field wall to tie it at 1-1.
Eau Claire continued offensively by scoring 2 runs in the 4th inning. Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) started with a single and was followed by a Brock Burton (Grand Canyon) single. Brandon Dieter (Stanford) came up with a huge 2 RBI triple to score both runners and give the Express a 3-1 lead.
The Express continued in the 6th inning. David LaManna (Notre Dame) walked and Marinconz singled. Dieter once again had a big hit, this time an RBI single to score LaManna.
Willmar added a run back in the bottom of the 7th inning on a solo home run which cut the Express lead to 4-2 which held as the final.
Tim Ewald (Dallas Baptist) got the start for the Express but could only go 1.0 innings. He gave up a run on one hit and one walk. Paul Petit (Minnesota-Duluth) was fantastic, throwing 6.2 innings and giving up just one run while striking out five. Peyton Sherlin (Dallas Baptist) entered for the last 1.1 innings and was scoreless, striking out three.
Eau Claire will continue on the road trip that will last through the weekend. They return home to Carson Park on Monday, August 5th for a 6:35 pm first pitch. It's Bus'ting at the Seams School Supply Drive night! School is almost back in session and Student Transit want you to help them fill the bus with supplies for area schools. Check out our social media for a chance to uncover a special discount at tonight's game.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Eau Claire Fails to Comeback in Willmar - Eau Claire Express
- Express Defeat Stingers - Eau Claire Express
- Rochester's Rally Falls Short - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Blank Honkers, Sweep Rochester at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Top Express - Willmar Stingers
- Sean Repay, Wyatt Ulrich and Larks Say Goodbye with a Win - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Score Four Times in Second, Barringer Shines for Weekend Sweep over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Sweep Jackrabbits to Close Homestand - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Booyah Split Season Series with Pit Spitters - Green Bay Booyah
- Growlers Struggles Continue in Loss to Fond du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Drill Rivets 12-3 to Close Road Swing - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Swept 4-2 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Sweep Lakeshore in Sunday Marathon - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Chinooks Swept by Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers Drop Final Home Game of Season - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Sweep Bombers on 6-3 Victory - Kenosha Kingfish
- Four in a Row for the Spideys - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Border Cats Win 4-2 to Sweep Duluth - Duluth Huskies
- Chinooks Unable to Comeback Against Woodchucks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rafters Wrap up Homestand in Finale against Jackrabbits - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Squash Bombers 15-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rivets Win Exhilarating Match-Up against Mallards - Rockford Rivets
- KZoo Falls at Fond Du Lac - Kalamazoo Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.