Roadrunners Open Road Trip With 3-1 Win Over I-8 Border Rival San Diego
San Diego, California - The Tucson Roadrunners took on their I-8 Border Rivals, the San Diego Gulls, for the first time this season Wednesday night at the Pechanga Arena in San Diego. The Roadrunners led for the final 53:05 of the contest to come away with a 3-1 win over the Gulls to improve to 9-5-1-0 on the season. Tucson goaltender Ivan Prosvetov earned his sixth win of the season with 30 saves, as he kept the AHL affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks off the scoreboard for the opening 57:36 of Wednesday's matchup.
YA GOTTA SEE IT
Roadrunners forward Ben McCartney opened the scoring in Wednesday's 3-1 win over the San Diego Gulls with his third goal in the last five outings. The score put Tucson up 1-0 with 6:55 gone by in the first period, as the Roadrunners led the rest of the way to earn the win in the first meeting of the season with San Diego.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
THREE FOR THREE - With Wednesday's 3-1 victory, the Roadrunners have won three-straight matchups against the San Diego Gulls dating back to the final two games of last season. With a goal in the first period, forward Jan Jenik extended his active point streak against San Diego to five games, while Mike Carcone's assist extended his scoring streak against the Gulls to three games.
PHOTO OF THE GAME
Wednesday's 3-1 Roadrunners win over the San Diego Gulls was highlighted by performances by goaltender Ivan Prosvetov and forward Ben McCartney. Prosvetov posted his second-best save percentage of the season at .968 to earn his sixth win of the season, as he stopped 30 of 31 shots faced. McCartney opened the scoring Wednesday night with a goal 6:55 into the contest for his third goal in five games. The 21-year-old has four points (1g 3a) in as many outings against San Diego dating back to March 23, 2022.
THEY SAID IT
"That was great work from the whole line. We pushed the pressure to the net, I tried to take a shot and it went in."
Tucson forward Jan Jenik on his goal in the first period of Wednesday's 3-1 win over the San Diego Gulls. The goal represented Jenik's second of the season and the eventual game-winning score.
The first goal between the I-8 Border Rivals in 2022-2023 went to the Roadrunners and forward Ben McCartney, as the 21-year-old lit the lamp for the third time in five games to give Tucson a 1-0 lead 6:55 into the contest. Tucson extended their lead just under five minutes later with a goal from the middle of the San Diego zone by Jan Jenik for his second tally of the season. Despite being narrowly outshot nine to eight in the opening frame, the Roadrunners carried their 2-0 advantage into the first intermission at the Pechanga Arena. Tucson continued to operate in the middle frame as they did in the first period of play, as they once again limited the Gulls to nine shots and outdrew them in trips to the power-play two to one. The Roadrunners increased their shots on goal in the frame to 13, but the second period was without a goal to preserve a 2-0 score in favor of Tucson going into the final 20 minutes of play. Still leading by a pair, Tucson's advantage from the opening 6:55 of the game was challenged near the midway point of the third period by an extended five-on-three situation in favor of the Gulls. The Roadrunners and Prosvetov were able to fend off the pair of penalties, as Tucson and San Diego pulled even in power-play chances at four trips apiece to the man-advantage. The Gulls pulled netminder Lukas Dostal with just over three minutes remaining in regulation as they looked for a pair of goals to even up the score. Their first score of the night with 2:24 on the clock got them halfway to a tie game, but an empty-net strike from the opposite end of the ice by J.S. Dea with one second left in the contest secured a 3-1 win for Tucson. The Roadrunners will continue their five-game road trip with a two-game set against the Ontario Reign on Saturday and Sunday from the Toyota Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2022
- Roadrunners Win Over Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Drenched by Reign, 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Win Over Barracuda - Ontario Reign
- Roadrunners Open Road Trip With 3-1 Win Over I-8 Border Rival San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Amerks Rally in Third, Stun Bruins in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Sweet Seven; Hogs, Seney Stuff Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Belleville Sens Left Looking for Equalizer in Utica - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Stump Stars in Rockford to Open Road Trip - Texas Stars
- Penguins Trounce Checkers in Rematch, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Strike Three Times in the Third, But Fall 6-3 to Islanders - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Open Road Trip With 2-1 Win Over Thunderbirds - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Double-Up on Wolf Pack - Bridgeport Islanders
- Checkers Suffer 5-2 Setback Against Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Abbotsford Canucks Hold off Rocket, Defeat Laval 3-2 - Abbotsford Canucks
- P-Bruins Topped by Americans 4-3 in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Down Marlies, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Defeeat Senators in Front of Sold-Out Crowd, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Sanford Assigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Coachella Valley Firebirds Hold Inaugural Golf Tournament - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wolf Pack to Honor Fallen Bristol Police Officers Dustin Demonte and Alex Hamzy on November 26th - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Recall Michael Kim, Ink Kevin O'Neil to PTO - Hershey Bears
- Series Preview vs. San Jose: November 25 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Austin Strand to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- This Week in Iowa Wild Hockey - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, November 23 vs. Providence - Rochester Americans
- Blues Assign D Tyler Tucker to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Forward Oskar Olausson Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Visit Islanders for Round Three of the 'Battle of Connecticut' - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Host Red Kettle Game, Christmas Story - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game #15 - Roadrunners at Gulls - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Host Wolf Pack Tonight - Bridgeport Islanders
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Meet Stars for Thanksgiving Eve Face-Off - Rockford IceHogs
- Silver Knights Drop Single Game Contest to Condors, 3-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners Announce Details for 2022 Holiday Games, Shopping
- Roadrunners to Spread Holiday Cheer in Tucson All Month
- Tucson Roadrunners Road Ahead: Back with the Barracuda
- Roadrunners Take Two of First Three Games on Five-Game Road Trip with Series Split Against Ontario
- Game #17 - Roadrunners at Reign