River Cats stumble as series evens with Grizzlies
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (47-44) fell 11-6 on Friday night to the Fresno Grizzlies (47-45) as their division rival crept to just a half game back in the Pacific Northern division standings.
The Grizzlies got to starting pitcher Yoanys Quiala early, plating 10 runs in the first five innings to put the ballgame well out of reach. Though the River Cats made things interesting in the seventh as two runs came home with a pair of bases loaded walk, back-to-back strikeouts left the bases juiced and ended the threat.
Outfielder Henry Ramos and second baseman Levi Michael each homered and drew a walk to lead the Sacramento offense, while the bullpen was solid with just one unearned run to their name.
Lefty Conner Menez (1-0, 4.25) will get the ball as the River Cats look to avoid falling a half game back of the Grizzlies, who will counter with their own left-handed prospect in Ben Braymer (0-1, 8.79). First pitch is set for 7:07 p.m. (PT). Watch the game live on the CW-31 (KMAX). Or listen live to all of the action online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM.
- Recently-acquired infielder Cristhian Adames took the first pitch he saw as a member of the River Cats and nearly drove it over the left-field fence. The ball glanced off outfielder Chuck Taylor's glove and both runners had to potentially tag up as there were less than two outs, holding Adames to a long single.
- Left-handed reliever Sam Selman gave up just his fourth hit of the season to a left-handed batter as he entered tonight's contest having struck out half the lefties he's faced with an opposing batting average of .068 (3-for-44).
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Isotopes Shut out for Eighth Time in 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- San Antonio Outslugs Omaha 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Top Chasers 8-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Wisdom Hits Walk-Off Homer in Front of Sellout - Nashville Sounds
- Miller Nabs First Triple-A Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Beat 'Cakes with Ninth Inning Homerun - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Topple Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Cubs Serve Express Harsh 11-5 Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Reno Aces Game Notes - July 13 at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-56) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (40-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- Bees Rally Late, Sting Aviators 10-7 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Make Comeback in Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats stumble as series evens with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Read drives in five as Grizzlies oust River Cats 11-6 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Suffer Worst Loss of Season - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nolin, Rainiers Even Series against Reno in Pitchers' Duel at Cheney - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hilliard Powers Isotopes to 13-1 Win over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics