Cubs Serve Express Harsh 11-5 Defeat
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (54-39) fell victim to a lopsided 11-5 loss to the Iowa Cubs (53-40) on Saturday night at Dell Diamond. The Cubs drove in eight runs in the fifth inning to seal Round Rock's defeat.
Each team's starter earned a decision in the contest. I-Cubs RHP Tyson Mills (1-0, 9.95) earned his first Triple-A win after holding the E-Train to two runs on three hits while punching out five in a strong 5.0-inning start. Round Rock LHP Ryan Hartman (5-5, 4.94) suffered the loss after surrendering three runs on four hits and five walks.
Iowa broke up three scoreless innings as 1B Taylor Davis hit a solo home run to leadoff the fourth.
A big fifth inning for the I-Cubs ultimately doomed the E-Train. The visitors put up eight runs in the frame to take a lopsided 9-0 lead over Round Rock. Twelve hitters came to the plate in the frame and combined for four singles, a double, a triple and two walks. LF Mark Zagunis highlighted the inning with a bases-clearing triple that plated CF Ian Happ, DH Erik Castillo, and 2B Dixon Machado.
Express CF Drew Ferguson broke up the Cubs no-hit bid in the home half of the fifth with a base hit and RF Chas McCormick drew a walk shortly thereafter. C Jamie Ritchie then doubled in the pair to put Round Rock on the board for the first time.
To begin the eighth, Davis and C P.J. Higgins worked back-to-back walks. SS Zack Short then grounded into a force out the eliminated Higgins at second but allowed Davis and Short to advance to third and first respectively. The next at-bat, Machado singled to plate Davis and RF Trent Giambrone mimicked the hit to knock in Short, widening the gap to 11-2.
LF Taylor Jones attempted to spark a late comeback in the bottom of the eighth when he smoked a 420-foot home run that landed in the Express bullpen. The shot scored 3B Jack Mayfield, who had previously walked, and DH Derek Fisher, who notched a single.
The Express aim for a win in tomorrow's series finale while the Cubs hope to salvage a split. Round Rock RHP Brandon Bielak (3-3, 5.40) is scheduled to start opposite an Iowa pitcher to be announced. First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Isotopes Shut out for Eighth Time in 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- San Antonio Outslugs Omaha 10-9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Missions Top Chasers 8-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Wisdom Hits Walk-Off Homer in Front of Sellout - Nashville Sounds
- Miller Nabs First Triple-A Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Beat 'Cakes with Ninth Inning Homerun - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Topple Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Cubs Serve Express Harsh 11-5 Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Reno Aces Game Notes - July 13 at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-56) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (40-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- Bees Rally Late, Sting Aviators 10-7 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Make Comeback in Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats stumble as series evens with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Read drives in five as Grizzlies oust River Cats 11-6 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Suffer Worst Loss of Season - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nolin, Rainiers Even Series against Reno in Pitchers' Duel at Cheney - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hilliard Powers Isotopes to 13-1 Win over El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Family Meal Kits with Curbside Delivery Available to Order
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Offering Family Meal Kits to Community
- 2020 Round Rock Classic Kicks off Friday Night at Dell Diamond
- Kirk Saarloos to be Inducted into Round Rock Express Hall of Fame
- Houston Astros Futures Weekend Returns to Dell Diamond April 4