Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0
Oklahoma City - The Memphis Redbirds sent the Oklahoma City Dodgers to their most lopsided loss of the season Saturday night, defeating the Dodgers, 14-0, at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Saturday's defeat was also the most lopsided shutout loss in team history and ranked tied for the fourth-largest margin of defeat overall since Oklahoma City rejoined the PCL in 1998.
The Dodgers (61-54) lost a fifth straight game as they were shut out for the eighth time this season.
Five Memphis pitchers combined for the shutout, holding the Dodgers to three hits through seven innings and to six hits total.
With the win, the Redbirds (74-44) took a 3-0 lead in the final series of the season between the teams after taking a commanding early lead on the scoreboard Saturday.
Memphis scored four runs in the second inning.
After loading the bases with none out, Tommy Edman hit a sacrifice fly to right field and Edmundo Sosa followed with a RBI single. Later with two outs, Lane Thomas connected on a two-run triple on a fly ball to deep right field to push the Memphis lead to four runs.
The Redbirds tacked on a run in the top of the sixth inning on a RBI single by Ramon Urias for a 5-0 advantage.
Memphis went on to score nine more runs over the eighth and ninth innings.
With runners at first and second base and no outs in the eighth, an errant throw by Dodgers pitcher Edward Paredes on a pickoff attempt at first base allowed a run to score and extend the Memphis lead to 6-0. Alex Mejia followed with a RBI double for a 7-0 Redbirds advantage. Later with two outs, Sosa added a RBI double before Victor Roache hit a RBI single for a 9-0 Memphis lead.
With the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning, Urias singled up the middle to bring home two more runs for an 11-0 lead. The Redbirds added three more runs before the end of the inning to take a 14-0 lead. Two runs scored when Edman lined a single into left field and Dodgers left fielder Edwin RÃ-os was charged with a fielding error on the play. A RBI single by Kevin Herget brought home Memphis' final run of the night on their 16th hit of the game.
Memphis reliever Chris Ellis (4-4) was credited with the win on the mound. He entered the game in the third inning and pitched 4.0 shutout innings. He allowed one hit, did not issue a walk and recorded six strikeouts.
Dodgers starting pitcher Logan Bawcom (1-2) was charged with the loss, allowing five runs and seven hits over 6.0 innings with two walks and three strikeouts.
The 14-run margin of defeat matched that in a 20-6 Oklahoma City loss to Memphis June 30, 2012 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The 14-run margin of defeat was three runs shy of the largest in team history (17 runs).
Oklahoma City has now lost seven of the last eight games and is in the midst of the team's second-longest losing skid of the season.
The Dodgers conclude their season series against Memphis at 6:05 p.m. Sunday, trying to avoid a series sweep. Tomorrow is a Chaparral Energy Family Sunday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring pregame player autographs, a mascot meet-and-greet, face painters, inflatables and postgame kids run the bases.
Live radio coverage begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com, or through the free iHeartRadio mobile app.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.