Reno Aces Game Notes at LV
Today's Game: The Aces (61-56) enter Saturday night's contest six games back of the first-place Fresno Grizzlies. Greg Gross will send right-hander Neftali Feliz to the mound to face the Las Vegas 51's in the third game of a four-game set.
Last Game: The offense exploded last night for nine runs on 13 hits to top their in-state foes. Chris Owings chipped in his second consecutive three-hit performance and raised his batting average up to .529 through four games. Ildemaro Vargas pushed his hit streak to 34 games and Jake Buchanan took home his 10th win of the season. Buchanan went 5.2 innings, allowed three runs on five hits and struck out four.
Streaking: Ildemaro Vargas has hit in 34 consecutive games, the longest hit streak in franchise history. During the streak, he is batting .368, (56-for-152), with 25 runs scored, 11 doubles, 15 RBI and an OBP of .415. There have only been five players in Aces history with streaks of 20+ games. Jake Elmore (31, 2012), Ildemaro Vargas (31, 2018), Tony Abreu (24, 2011), Chris Owings (23, 2013), and Ketel Marte (22, 2017). In 2017, Ketel Marte went 37-for-98, .378, with nine 2B, three 3B, one HR and 16 RBI from April 29 through May 22.
(BSeason Hitting Streaks in PCL History
1. Joe DiMaggio (61) 1933 - San Francisco 2. Jack Ness 49 (1915) - Oakland Oaks
3. Jim Oglesby 44 1933 - Los Angeles 4. Joey Cora 37 1989 - Las Vegas
5. Ildemaro Vargas 34 2018 - Reno Aces 6. Frank Baumholtz 33 1950 - LA
John Dickshot 33 1943 - Hollywood Stars 7. David Doster 32 2004 - Fresno Grizzlies
8. Jake Elmore 31 2012 - Reno Aces Pedro Guerrero 31 1979 - Albuquerque Dukes
Kevin Hooper 31 2002 - Calgary Cannons
CO: Since being optioned by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Chris Owings has torn up the Pacific Coast League. Over his four-game stretch, Owings is 9-for-17, with seven runs scored, three doubles, one triple and three RBI. Last night, he went 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored. During his 2013 PCL MVP campaign, Owings hit .330 over 125 games and 51 extra-base hits.
All of 'em: Last night, every Aces starting position player recorded a hit. Led by Chris Owings and Rey Fuentes, who had three each, the offense pounded out 13 total hits and scored all of their runs via the RBI. The top four batters in the order went a combined 6-for-20 with five runs scored and four RBI. Anthony Recker chipped in a two-for-four night and three players homered in the winning effort.
Looking Around: With the Fresno Grizzlies in first place by six games, the Aces will need some help in order to find their way into the playoffs. The Grizzlies are in the midst of a four-game series with Albuquerque (1-1 thus far) and will welcome Las Vegas on Monday. Because the two teams will not go head-to-head, Fresno must lose seven more games than the aces. Fresno holds the tiebreaker with a series advantage of 7-9.
Back-to-back-to-back-to-back: On this date in 2010, the Diamondbacks become the only the seventh team to hit four consecutive home runs in an inning. In the top of the fourth inning, Adam LaRoche, Miguel Montero, Mark Reynolds, and Stephen Drew all connect off Dave Bush, making the right-hander only the third hurler in major league history to yield four straight round-trippers. Montero played four games with Reno that season (5-for-15) and Drew played for the Aces in 2009 and 2012.
Reno & Soccer: Reno 1868 FC's next match is scheduled for August 19th at Children's Mercy Victory Field against the Swope Park Rangers.
Looking for Blood: In conjunction with United Blood Services, the Aces are hosting their second annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive at Greater Nevada Field. On August, 15th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., all donors can receive Aces swag and save lives in the process.
On Deck: 2019 season tickets are NOW ON SALE beginning at just $96! Don't wait to reserve your seats for the Biggest Little Show on Grass. Visit the Ticket Sales Kiosk behind section 105 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.