Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win
In 2015, lefty Brett Oberholtzer was helping the Fresno Grizzlies secure their first championship in team history. On Friday, he stymied his former squad as the Albuquerque Isotopes (54-63) defeated the Grizzlies (67-50) 4-1 from Chukchansi Park. Oberholtzer (5-9, win) dazzled for seven innings, allowing one run (earned) on five hits, while walking and whiffing one. This would tie his longest outing of 2018.
Matt Holliday gave the Isotopes a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when he demolished a pitch to the pool in left-center field. The solo dinger was his first since joining Albuquerque. It was also his first minor league homer since June 8th, 2008 when he was with Colorado Springs.
A three-run top of the third shoved the Isotopes ahead 4-0. Tom Murphy belted his 17th longball of the season, a solo shot to left field. Then, Mike Tauchman singled to right, plating Shawn O' Malley (2-for-5). Finally, Josh Fuentes slugged a ground-rule double to right, knocking in Garrett Hampson.
Fresno got on the board in the bottom of the fourth, making it 4-1. AJ Reed (2-for-4) legged out his fourth triple of the year and rumbled home on a Taylor Jones sacrifice fly to center. Reed's four triples rank him third overall on the team, but second among active roster players (Garrett Stubbs, 6).
Jerry Vasto and D.J. Johnson locked down the 4-1 victory after two scoreless frames of relief. Vasto punched out the side while Johnson secured his 15th save of 2018.
Brady Rodgers (1-3) suffered the decision after four innings of work. He was charged with four runs (earned), on seven hits, one free pass and four strikeouts. This was his fifth start since returning from Tommy John surgery (second home start). Ralph Garza, Dean Deetz and Matt Ramsey followed Rodgers, scattering two hits in five frames while fanning eight. Overall, the 12 punchouts pushed the Grizzlies season total to 1,117, the best in the PCL.
Nick Tanielu found green grass in the fifth, expanding the current team-high hit streak to nine games. Yordan Alvarez recorded another multi-hit affair in the defeat.
Both crews continue the set with game three of four Saturday evening from Chukchansi Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PT. Fresno RHP Trent Thornton (8-7, 3.82) and LHP Sam Howard (3-6, 5.50) are the probable matchup.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- 2019 Fresno Grizzlies Individual-Game Tickets on Sale
- Fresno Grizzlies Set Three National Anthem Audition Dates at Area Malls
- MLB Jr. Home Run Derby Moved from February 2 to February 9
- Fresno Grizzlies Unveil New Colors, Logos and Uniforms
- Fresno Grizzlies Statement on the Passing of Brian Glover