New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa
METAIRIE, LA - Chris Coghlan hit the first pitch of the game out of the park but the tables quickly turned as the New Orleans Baby Cakes (56-61) toppled the Iowa Cubs (43-73) 9-2, Saturday at Shrine on Airline.
The Baby Cakes took control after Coghlan's third home run of the season as the home team knotted the game in the bottom of the inning. New Orleans proceeded to score seven unanswered runs with a pair in the second, one in the third and three in the fifth.
With a 7-1 deficit in hand, Iowa shrunk the gap with a run in the sixth. Consecutive singles from Stephen Bruno, Ryan Court and Jason Volsler got the job done. Bruno would end the night 2-for-5. He has now reached safely in 16-straight games. Chris Gimenez (2-for-4) and Coghlan (2-for-4) logged Iowa's other multi-hit efforts.
New Orleans tacked on runs in the sixth and the eighth to solidify the final score as Austin Dean blasted solo shots in back-to-back at-bats.
Duane Underwood Jr. (L, 4-10) was chased after 4.0 frames - his shortest start since June 2. The righty claimed seven hits, four runs, three earned, three walks and three strikeouts. New Orleans starter Jeff Brigham (W, 4-0) held Iowa to two runs on five hits through 6.0 frames to take home the win.
Iowa and New Orleans meet for the final time of 2018 tomorrow at Shrine on Airline for a 1:00 p.m. first pitch. Catch the action on AM 940 or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.