Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The Nashville Sounds' win streak reached 12 on Saturday night, as they held on and beat the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 3-2 at Security Service Field. Daniel Mengden tossed 6 1/3 innings, Anthony Garcia drove in all three runs, and Liam Hendriks logged another save. The Sounds have not trailed at any point in their last six games.
For the third time in the series, the Sounds took a quick lead. In the top of the first, Steve Lombardozzi and Dustin Fowler singled, and Garcia brought them home with a single for a 2-0 game. After Mengden yielded a run in the second, the Sounds answered in the third against Paolo Espino. Fowler tripled and then scored on Garcia's two-out double. Fowler went 3-for-4 and has 20 multi-hit performances in 38 games as a Sound this season.
Mengden's second run allowed scored in the sixth, and he left with one out in the seventh. He gave up two runs on just four hits in 6 1/3 innings in the win, his fourth quality start in his last five outings. Josh Lucas finished the seventh and worked the eighth, and Hendriks posted his 11th consecutive scoreless outing by saving the game in the ninth.
The four-game series concludes Sunday afternoon when Jesus Luzardo (1-0, 0.00) makes his second start as a Sound. He's scheduled to oppose Alec Asher (6-3, 5.25). The first pitch is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Then the Sounds return to First Tennessee Park on Monday night to begin a seven-game homestand.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8)
- Sounds Split Doubleheader on Easter
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (4-11) vs. San Antonio Missions (8-7)
- Nashville Drops Opener against San Antonio