Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column
Early home runs from Matt Holliday and Tom Murphy fueled the Isotopes (54-63) to a 4-1 win over the Fresno Grizzlies (67-50) Friday evening at Chukchansi Park. The victory ended Albuquerque's five-game losing streak that began on Aug. 4.
Holliday belted a mammoth solo shot to left in the opening frame to put Albuquerque up 1-0. The long ball was the 38-year-old's first of the year and his first at the Triple-A level since 2008. Murphy's solo home run came in the third inning and was his 17th with the Isotopes this season.
Two more runs came across for Albuquerque in the third on Mike Tauchman's RBI single and Josh Fuentes' ground-rule double to right. Tauchman and Fuentes are tied for the Isotopes lead in RBI this season with 74 apiece.
Starting pitcher Brett Oberholtzer had a terrific night on the mound, limiting the Grizzlies to one run and five hits in 7.0 innings. The lefty walked one batter and recorded one strikeout. The win was Oberholtzer's fifth while the quality start was his team-leading sixth of the year.
Game three of the four-game set in Fresno will take place Saturday night with southpaw Sam Howard scheduled to take the hill for the Isotopes. First pitch from Chukchansi Park will be at 8:05 p.m.?
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.