Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken
Austin Dean hit two home runs, Peter Mooney homered and doubled, and Braxton Lee had three hits to carry the New Orleans Baby Cakes to a 9-2 win over the Iowa Cubs on Saturday night.
After Chris Coghlan gave Iowa a quick lead by homering to lead off the game - his second in as many days - the Baby Cakes responded with runs in five of the next six innings, including seven unanswered runs.
Lee reached on a bloop single in the bottom of the first and scored on Dean's single through the hole at short to tie the game. An inning later, Mooney doubled past a diving Trey Martin in center field to grab the lead, then scored on a two-out infield single by Lee.
Chad Wallach added an RBI single in the third inning, and Mooney's home run in the fifth capped a three-run frame. It was Mooney's fifth dinger of the year, a new career high.
Dean turned on a 3-2 offering from reliever Craig Brooks in the sixth inning for his eighth home run, giving him four consecutive multi-hit game. He added an opposite field home run off Randy Rosario in the eighth for his fourth career multi-homer effort and first at Triple-A, boosting his batting average to .463 over his last 14 contests.
The run support was plenty for Jeff Brigham, who improved to 4-0 through six Triple-A starts by limiting the Cubs to two runs and five hits in six innings. Brigham retired 16 of the next 18 batters he faced following Coghlan's leadoff homer, before three straight two-out singles in the sixth gave Iowa its second run.
In 14 starts across three levels of the Marlins system this season, Brigham is 9-1 with a 1.77 ERA.
Iowa starter Duane Underwood, Jr. (4-10) suffered the loss by surrendering seven hits and four runs - three earned - in four innings.
The victory was the 56th of the season for the Baby Cakes, surpassing last year's total.
The 'Cakes wrap up the short homestand with the series finale against the Cubs on Sunday at 1 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rain Suspends Omaha at Round Rock Game Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers & Express Suspended in 5th Inning - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Sting Bees, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Fly Past Dodgers, 14-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Hit 30 Games Above .500 After 14-0 Rout - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Edge Sky Sox as Win Streak Hits 12 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Fall 3-2 as Nashville Wins 12th Straight Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dean Homers Twice as Baby Cakes Bats Awaken - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Takes the Cake against Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (73-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Games Notes - August 11, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (62-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at LV - Reno Aces
- Oberholtzer stymies Fresno in 4-1 ABQ win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Holliday, Murphy Power Isotopes Back to Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Camarena dazzles in shutout of Chihuahuas - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Edged in Pitchers Duel - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Big Fifth Inning Pushes Memphis to 8-4 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.