Redbirds Blast New Orleans
MEMPHIS, TN - Memphis used the long ball Wednesday night to beat New Orleans 7-4 at AutoZone Park.
The Redbirds blasted three home runs in the victory jumping on the Zephyrs in the first inning for four runs. Mark Hamilton's RBI-double put the home team on the board and Joe Mather's three-run homer gave Memphis a four-run lead. Tony Cruz hit his first Triple-A home run in the third inning and Tyler Greene added his ninth round tripper of the year in the sixth. Mather, Greene, Hamilton and Cruz all had two hits to pace the 'Birds 11-hit attack. Gookie Dawkins led New Orlean,s hitting a three-run homer in the third.
Memphis starter Evan MacLane picked up the win with six innings of work. The lefty gave up four runs on five hits to notch his eighth victory of the year. Zephyrs starter Adalberto Mendez took the loss allowing six runs on eight hits in just 3.1 innings. Josh Kinney nailed down his 15th save of the year working a scoreless ninth inning.
The 'Birds play their final regular season home game tomorrow afternoon against New Orleans with first pitch slated for 1:05 p.m. P.J. Walters gets the nod for Memphis against Z's veteran Brian Lawrence. For ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month