Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13
The Iowa Cubs (80-59) plated nine runs in the ninth inning to send the Albuquerque Isotopes (69-69) to a shocking 15-13 loss Wednesday night at Isotopes Park. The 'Topes tied a franchise record by losing a seven-run lead and, with Oklahoma City's doubleheader split vs. Nashville, fall 3.5 games behind the RedHawks in the PCL's American Southern Division with five games to play.
With Albuquerque holding a comfortable 13-6 lead in the top of the ninth and seemingly cruising its way to victory, the Cubs mounted an impossible rally, ignited when Jason Dubois launched a three-run homer to trim the lead to 13-9. After Iowa plated another run on an RBI double by Chris Robinson and another on a fielding error by third baseman Russ Mitchell, Sam Fuld roped a single to center, scoring Robinson and bringing the I-Cubs to within 13-12. After a double-steal moved the tying run to third and the go-ahead run to second, Marquez Smith rendered it all moot with another three run bomb to propel Iowa to a 15-13 lead.
With the air completely taken out of the 'Topes, Jeff Stevens (9) pitched around an A.J. Ellis single in the bottom of the ninth to seal the improbable come-from-behind 15-13 win.
Prior to the ninth, the game look firmly in the grasp of the Isotopes, who raced out to a quick lead thanks to the electric addition of Rafael Furcal, who joined the 'Topes on a Major League rehab assignment. The Dodgers All-Star led off the bottom of the first with a triple and scored the game's first run on an Ivan De Jesus Jr. groundout before crushing a two-run double in the second with a run already in to pad the Albuquerque lead to 4-1 and immediately came in to score on a single by De Jesus to boost the lead to 5-1 after two.
The 'Topes kept the pressure on, scoring three more in the third and another in the fourth to grab a 9-1 lead before Iowa finally answered with two in the fifth to trim the lead to 9-3.
That set up John Lindsey, who delivered his team-leading 24th homer of the year, a three-run shot, in the sixth to put the home team ahead 12-3.
Even a three-run answer shot by Dubois in the seventh didn't deter the Isotopes, who plated an insurance run in the eighth on an RBI double by De Jesus to go up 13-6 heading into the ninth. With his two, three-run blasts, Dubois finished the night with six RBI for the I-Cubs.
The ending spoiled what was another solid outing from starter Tim Corcoran, who deserved a better fate after going 6.1 strong innings in which he allowed five runs on eight hits while walking four and striking out four in a tough-luck no-decision.
The 'Topes will wrap up their series with Iowa on Thursday with righty Francisco Felix (1-0, 4.50) taking the mound against Cubs right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx (5-3, 4.15) in a 6:35 PM start from Isotopes Park.
Albuquerque's will celebrate its final regular season home game on Thursday by giving away souvenir soda cubs courtesy of Dr Pepper and by hosting an encore performance by Myron Noodleman. Tickets may be purchased at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, or on-line at www.albuquerquebaseball.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Albuquerque Isotopes Stories
- Mariachis Hit High Note as Greatest Gorra
- Mariachis Advance to Championship Round of #GreatestGora
- Isotopes to Host "A Speech of Their OwnÃ¢ÂÂ Initiative
- Isotopes/Mariachis Join Minor League Baseball's "Greatest Gorra" Cap Competition
- Isotopes "Stadium Memories" Series to Air on TV, Radio and Facebook Live