Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Beavers close out the 2010 season when they play host to the Las Vegas 51s for four games starting Friday night at PGE Park. As part of Fan Appreciation Weekend presented by PGE, highlights of the homestand include a post-game fireworks display, two giveaways and Kids Run the Show Sunday, as well as a memorabilia sale.
The series opener Friday features the final post-game fireworks display presented by PGE, as well as Oregon Weight Loss Surgery day. It is also $1 Menu Friday, with select menu items available for $1 all night.
The first 2,000 fans at Saturday night's game will receive a Beavers team poster presented by Fred Meyer. Not only will the poster feature this year's team, but it will also highlight teams from past seasons as the Beavers pay homage to Portland's baseball history. Fans will also have the opportunity to meet some of their favorite current Beavers with a meet-and-greet and autograph session before the game on the concourse.
On Kids Sunday, kids get a chance to experience what working in baseball is about. As part of Kids Run the Show, kids will be selected through an online contest to fill a number of roles at Sunday's game, including bat boy, manager and more. Prior to first pitch, all kids 12 and under can take advantage of the Beavers' Kids-Eat-Free plan, play catch on the field and get autographs from Beavers players. The Kids Club Bash is also before Sunday's game; all Kids Club members are invited to the park for a mini-clinic with Beavers players and other fun and games.
Fans should plan on staying late for Monday's 2:05 p.m. season finale as a special post-game ceremony will grant Friends of Baseball as the interim guardians of PGE Park's home plate, as well as honor a number of former Beavers players in attendance. A unique commemorative coin, honoring PGE Park's place in Portland baseball history, will be distributed to the first 2,000 fans at the game. Also, longtime Portland resident Alexis Bishop will be present to throw out the last first pitch at PGE Park. Bishop also threw out the first ceremonial first pitch at Multnomah Stadium in 1956 and still has the ball from that day. All fans are welcome to run the bases after the game. Following the game, a ceremony will be held on the field as home plate is presented to Friends of Baseball.
Tickets for the Beavers series against Las Vegas, the Triple-A affiliate of Toronto Blue Jays, are available through the PGE Park box office, area Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800) 745-3000. Convenient and affordable group and suite packages are available through the Beavers ticket office at (503) 553-5555.
SPECIAL EVENT HIGHLIGHTS (Homestand 12):
Friday, Sept. 3 Post-game Fireworks, presented by PGE / Oregon Weight Loss Surgery Day / $1 Menu Friday - Beavers vs. Las Vegas - 7:05 p.m. The Beavers open the homestand with the 51s with a Friday night game that will be followed by a spectacular fireworks display originating from center field. Friday's game also kick-starts the memorabilia garage sale at PGE Park, where fans can turn a couple bucks into some classic Beavers bobbleheads, baseball card sets and other items. It is also the final $1 Menu Friday of the season, which features select menu items - Zenner's hot dogs, Sierra Springs water and Fudgesicle and Creamsicle treats - for only $1.
Saturday, Sept. 4 Commemorative Team Poster Giveaway, presented by Fred Meyer - Beavers vs. Las Vegas - 7:05 p.m. As Fan Appreciation Weekend continues, the Beavers and Fred Meyer roll out commemorative team posters for the first 2,000 fans Saturday night. The posters, which feature this year's team, as well as some of Portland's finest squads from years' past, are sure to go quickly so get to PGE Park early. Before the game, don't miss your chance to meet some of your favorite 2010 Beavers players, who will be meeting with fans and signing autographs on the concourse.
Sunday, Sept. 5 Kids Run the Show / Kids Sunday - Beavers vs. Las Vegas - 2:05 p.m. On the final Kids Sunday at PGE Park, we're turning over the operation to the kids. As part of Kids Run the Show, kids will be chosen through online entries to participate in a number of roles at Sunday's game, including bat boy, PA announcer, radio broadcaster and more. Prior to the first pitch, all kids 12 and under can take advantage of the Beavers' Kids-Eat-Free plan, play catch on the field and get autographs from Beavers players. All Kids Club members can come to the park from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. to partake in the Kids Club Bash, including a clinic with Beavers players, play catch on the field and other games.
Monday, Sept. 6 Commemorative Coin Giveaway presented by PGE - Beavers vs. Las Vegas - 2:05 p.m. The Beavers will honor the 60 years of baseball at PGE Park with a commemorative coin giveaway presented by PGE. The first 2,000 fans will receive a collectible coin portraying PGE Park on one side and the Beavers logo on the other. Also, the Beavers will have a special guest on-hand to close out the park the way it opened: Alexis Bishop, who threw out the first ceremonial first pitch at Multnomah Stadium back in 1956, will throw out the last first pitch at PGE Park before the game. After the game, all fans are invited run the bases at PGE Park one last time. Furthermore, a special post-game ceremony will be held on the field, as home plate will be dug up and presented to a group of youth baseball players and Friends of Baseball, which will be caring for the artifact until baseball one day returns to the Rose City. Friends of Baseball is a non-profit with the focus of furthering the sport of baseball locally by enhancing and sustaining youth baseball and softball in Oregon.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss