Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha
Kansas City, MO (September 1, 2010) - The Kansas City Royals have returned right-handed pitcher Gil Meche and infielder Josh Fields from their respective rehab assignments and reinstated them from the 60-day Disabled List. In addition, the club has recalled catcher Lucas May from Omaha. To create space on the 40-man roster, the Royals have transferred right-handed pitcher Luke Hochevar and outfielder David DeJesus to the 60-day D.L. Meche, Fields and May will be in uniform for tonight's game. May will wear No. 22.
Meche, 31, has missed 86 games with right shoulder bursitis. He was 0-4 with a 6.66 ERA in nine starts for the Royals prior to being placed on the D.L. on May 29 (retroactive to May 26). Meche returns to the Majors in a relief capacity, where he made his final three rehab appearances for Omaha, allowing one run on two hits in 4.2 innings, striking out five.
The 27-year-old Fields is looking to make his Royals debut after being acquired with Chris Getz on November 5, 2009 from the White Sox for Mark Teahen. He underwent labral surgery on his right hip toward the tail end of Spring Training and was placed on the D.L. on March 28. Fields began a rehab assignment with Surprise on August 12 and went 4-for-10 with four RBI for the Royals' rookie-level club before hitting .436 (17-for-39) with eight doubles and 9 RBI in 11 games for Northwest Arkansas (AA).
May, 25, was acquired by the Royals on July 28 from the Dodgers in the deal that sent outfielder Scott Podsednik to Los Angeles. The five-foot-11, 195-pounder is making his first appearance on a Major League active roster. May was hitting .275 (25-for-91) for Omaha with seven doubles, five home runs and 13 RBI in 24 games. In 104 games this season, he has combined to bat .283 with 16 home runs and 59 RBI, posting a .483 slugging percentage.
Hochevar is currently on a rehab assignment at Omaha. He has been sidelined since June 16 (retroactive to June 12) with a right elbow sprain. He is currently eligible for reinstatement.
DeJesus has missed the past 37 games with a right thumb sprain suffered on July 22 at Yankee Stadium. The outfielder is eligible to be reinstated on September 21.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer