Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak
Joe Mather drilled a three run home run in the first inning to lead Memphis to a 7-4 victory over the New Orleans Zephyrs in front of 5,434 fans at Autozone Park. The win puts the Memphis Redbirds in a first place tie with the Iowa Cubs with five games to go.
The Redbirds scored four in the first inning and the Z's showed some life scoring three in the third inning. Gookie Dawkins hammered a three run home run. Memphis answered with solo home runs from Tony Cruz and Tyler Greene. Brian Barden added two hits extending his hit streak to 17 games. The Z's added a home run from Chris Aguila. Evan MacLane worked six innings and earned the win for Memphis. Adalberto Mendez suffered the loss and Josh Kinney earned his 14th save of the season. The Birds lead the series 2-1.
Game Notes: Brian Barden extended his hitting streak to 17 games, the longest by a Zephyr this season and the longest active streak in the PCL. He is tied for the fifth-longest streak in the PCL this season. The Z's added catcher Mike Rivera, signed as free agent. He caught for AAA Albuquerque earlier this season. He replaces Miguel Fermin, whom was reassigned to Class AA Jacksonville. The Z's are 3-9 on the road trip.
Coming up - The Zephyrs will conclude the longest trip of the season with matinee on Thursday in Memphis at 1:05. The Z's will start RH Brian Lawrence (11-8, 4.64) against RH PJ Walters (8-5, 3.81) . RADIO: 106.1 FM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.