Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1
OMAHA, Neb. - Omaha's back-to-back homers in the eighth inning from Mike Moustakas and Scott Thorman led the Omaha Royals to a 5-1 win over the Round Rock Express Wednesday night at Rosenblatt Stadium. Omaha (77-62) has won the first three games of the series, while Round Rock (55-84) has lost four in a row and 10 of their last 12 games. Thursday's series finale at Rosenblatt Stadium will be the final game in the ballpark.
The Royals stretched a 3-1 lead to 5-1 after Moustakas' leadoff home run, followed by Thorman's round-tripper in the eighth. Irving Falu's two-run single in the fifth came after Jarrod Dyson's sacrifice fly, which broke the scoreless tie.
Omaha's Matthew Herges (8-4) was credited the win in relief; he allowed one run on six hits over 2.2 innings. Starter Brian Bannister spun 3.1 innings of scoreless ball, before giving it over to Herges. Harold Coleman followed Herges, working 2.0 innings, while giving up two hits. Federico Castaneda tossed a spotless ninth inning.
Round Rock starter Josh Banks (9-11) worked his third complete game of the season. Banks gave up five runs on eight hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
The Express brought it to 3-1 in the seventh after German Duran scored off of Oswaldo Navarro's two-out RBI single.
Edwin Bellorin finished 3-for-4 at the plate, leading the Express offense. Navarro, Duran, Chris Shelton, Brandon Barnes and Edwin Maysonet each had two hits apiece.
Round Rock and Omaha conclude their four-game series Thursday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at Rosenblatt Stadium. Dueling righties will go the bump as Sergio Perez (3-3, 5.01 ERA) takes the ball for the Express, opposed by Luke Hochevar (0-0, 0.00) for the Royals.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express RHP Joe Barlow Promoted to Texas Rangers
- Oklahoma City Closes Series with 8-6 Victory over Round Rock
- Leblanc, Express Walk-Off Dodgers 4-3 in 11-Inning Marathon
- Dodgers' Eighth-Inning Rally Derails E-Train on Sunday Night
- Two Home Runs Help Dodgers to 4-2 Win over Express