Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected
PORTLAND, Ore. - The San Diego Padres today recalled right-handed pitcher Ryan Webb from the Beavers and selected the contracts of left-handed pitcher Cory Luebke and catcher Chris Stewart. Also, the Beavers reinstated left-handed pitcher Aaron Poreda from the disabled list.
Webb, 24, marks his third stint with San Diego this season, having previously gone 3-1 with a 3.30 ERA (17er, 46.1ip) in 40 relief appearances with the club. The Clearwater, Fla., native made 17 appearances with Portland, posting a 1-0 mark with one save and a 0.87 ERA (2er, 20.2ip). In two seasons with the Beavers, Webb owns a 1.14 ERA (3er, 23.2ip) over 20 appearances. Webb was acquired from the Oakland Athletics on July 5, 2009, in a trade that sent Scott Hairston to Oakland.
Luebke, 25, joins a major league roster for the first time in his career and is slated to make his major league debut Friday when the Padres host the Colorado Rockies at PETCO Park. In 19 games (17 starts) this season, Luebke has a 10-1 overall record and 2.68 ERA (34er, 114.0ip) between Class AA San Antonio and Portland. Luebke was a perfect 5-0 in nine starts with the Beavers and finished his stint with the club with 15 scoreless innings. He leads all Padres minor leaguers in ERA and is tied for second in wins. Luebke was selected in the supplemental round (63rd overall) of the 2007 draft.
Stewart, 28, marks his first stint with the Padres, his fourth major league club. In 85 games with Portland this season, Stewart hit .248 (66-for-266) with 14 doubles, seven home runs and 39 RBIs. The Fontana, Calif., native led the PCL with a .393 caught-stealing percentage, the third consecutive season in which he has led his league in the category. Over 24 games with the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers and New York Yankees, Stewart owns a .188 batting average (9-for-48) with three RBIs and four runs scored. Stewart was signed by the Padres as a minor league free agent on Dec. 17, 2009.
Poreda, 23, returns to the active roster after missing 22 games with a right ankle sprain. The Walnut Creek, Calif., native has recorded a 1-1 record and 5.55 ERA (15er, 24.1ip) in 17 relief outings for Portland this season after beginning the year with San Antonio, where he was 0-1 with a 2.52 ERA (7er, 25.0ip) in 19 outings. Poreda was acquired from the White Sox on July 31, 2009, in the trade that sent pitcher Jake Peavy to Chicago.
Additionally, right-handed pitcher Cesar Carrillo and catcher Dusty Ryan were designated for assignment by the Padres.
With today's moves, the Beavers' roster is at 22, two players under its 24-man limit.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss