Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans
OMAHA, NE - Since the Omaha Royals final home stand got underway on August 21, fans have been able to submit their ideas for a possible new name for Omaha's Triple-A team in 2011, when it moves into the new ballpark in Sarpy County. So far, over 400 different names have been suggested, with those in favor of a new team name overwhelming those fans who favor keeping the same moniker as Omaha's parent club.
Names relating to the weather and to the military have been leading the way so far. Some of those suggestions include Storm, Hail, Heat, Blizzard, Twisters, Bombers and Commanders. Some fans have just tweaked the name to vary slightly from Royals, suggesting Monarchs and Kings. Other fans, no doubt sad to see the demise of Rosenblatt Stadium following the 2010 season, have submitted the team name Blatts for consideration.
"It has been a fun process to see what people think and feel about the metro area and how they think their Triple-A team should be perceived," said Martie Cordardo, Royals Vice President/General Manager. "We hope that all fans who come out to these final two home games tonight and Thursday will take part in this process, or they will visit our website."
Fans are able to submit their team name ideas in person at Innovation Research Fan Services at Rosenblatt tonight and tomorrow night. They may also go to www.oroyals.com and submit their ideas through Monday, September 6.
Team officials will review all of the fans' ideas beginning on September 7. On September 13, the Royals will release the top 24 names and the public will be able to vote for their three favorite names from the 13th through the 27th of the month, again at www.oroyals.com . On October 4th, the team will release a list of the top nine names remaining under consideration and fans will be able to vote online for the one name they like best.
In November, Omaha's Triple-A baseball club will release its team name, mascot, logos and uniforms at a public event. Details on the event will be released soon.
One lucky fan who suggests the name of the team will win two Box seat 2011 season tickets in the new Sarpy County ballpark and an official home jersey personalized with their name on the back.
For Omaha Royals tickets, call (402) 738-5100, or print tickets online at www.oroyals.com .
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2010
- Cubs Stun Isotopes 15-13 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Win 5-1 as Express Skid Hits Eight - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Blast New Orleans - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Lose in Memphis, Barden Extends Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Clips Round Rock 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Split Doubleheader Action with RedHawks on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Ryan Webb Recalled by Padres; Cory Luebke, Chris Stewart Selected - Portland Beavers
- Beavers Say Thank You During Last Baseball Series at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- Lindsey, Mitchell Named to All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2010 Playoff Tickets Are on Sale Now for First Place River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Moustakas Named George Brett Hitter of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos and Trumbo Named to 2010 All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats Outfielder Chris Carter Named to 2010 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Eric Hacker Named to All-PCL Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Snyder Named to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Bulger and Stokes Complete Rehab, Chatwood Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Zephyrs Conclude Season This Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 2010 All-PCL Team Announced - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces, D-Backs Renew Player Development Contract - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals Reinstate Meche, Fields from 60-Day D.L., Recall May from Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Over 400 Team Names Submitted by Fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kroenke Dominates Beavers in 3-1 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.