Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up
EDINBURG, Texas - The Charlotte Hornets have announced today that the team has signed forward Ray Spalding to a two-way contract. Spalding becomes the first Gatorade Call-Up for Rio Grande Valley Vipers this season, giving them a total of 35 overall.
The 6-10 forward appeared in 20 games for RGV and averaged 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 26.5 minutes of action. Spalding tallied a career-high of 30 points on December 5, 2019 against Canton Charge.
Spalding was originally drafted with the 56th overall selection in the 2018 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers. The Louisville product was traded on draft night to the Dallas Mavericks and signed with Dallas on July 21, 2018. After spending time in Mavericks and Suns organizations in his rookie year and signing 10-day contracts with the Suns and Atlanta Hawks, Spalding was ultimately claimed by the Houston Rockets on Oct. 10, 2019, was later waived on Oct. 19, 2019.
Making a total of 14 NBA appearances combined between Dallas and Phoenix, Spalding as a rookie averaged 3.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 10.6 minutes per game. He also appeared in 29 contests for the Texas Legends of the NBA G League where he appeared in 29 games averaging 15.9 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 30.1 minutes per game.
The Vipers will match up with in state rival Texas Legends on Saturday, Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. CT. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2020
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-107 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wigginton Shines in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Hollins Impressive in Drive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Sign Ray Spalding - Greensboro Swarm
- Raptors Sign Paul Watson to a Two-Way Contract - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs to Host The Dream Game on January 21 to Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Austin Spurs
- NAZ Suns Acquire Matt Farrell in Trade with Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornets Waive Robert Franks - Greensboro Swarm
- Cavaliers Sign Matt Mooney to Two-Way Contract - Canton Charge
- Matt Mooney Earns Hustle's First Gatorade Call-Up this Season - Memphis Hustle
- Heat Sign Kyle Alexander to Two-Way Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Nets to Honor Towns of Islip, Oyster Bay and Hempstead at Select Home Games in January - Long Island Nets
- Golden State and Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Roster Moves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Charlie Brown, Jr. to College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Stars Reacquire Guard Kyle Castlin - Salt Lake City Stars
- Phoenix Suns Call up NAZ Suns Forward Tariq Owens - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Sign Two-Way Player Chris Silva to NBA Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Esports Night with Cavs Legion Is this Friday - Canton Charge
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs 126-121 - Stockton Kings
- Austin Spurs Fall to Stockton Kings 126-121 on the Road - Austin Spurs
- Clippers Fizzle After Hot Start - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Select Brooks and Cumberland in the 2021 G League Draft
- RGV Vipers to Participate in 2020-21 NBA G League Season
- Rgv Vipers and Academy Sports & Outdoors Hold Curbside Surprise
- RGV Vipers & RGV FC Distribute over 5,000 Books in Drive-Thru Giveaway in Partnership with South Texas Literacy Coalition
- RGV Vipers and Academy Sports & Outdoors Surprise DHR Certified Nurse Assistants