Hornets Sign Ray Spalding
Charlotte Hornets President of Basketball Operations & General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has signed forward Ray Spalding to a two-way contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Spalding was originally drafted with the 56th overall selection in the 2018 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers. The Louisville product was traded on draft night to the Dallas Mavericks and signed with Dallas on July 21, 2018. After spending time in Mavericks and Suns organizations in his rookie year, and signing 10-day contracts with the Suns and Atlanta Hawks, Spalding was ultimately claimed by the Houston Rockets on Oct. 10, 2019, was later waived on Oct. 19, 2019 and has spent the 2019-20 season with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA G League.
The 6-10 forward totaled 14 NBA appearances combined between Dallas and Phoenix as a rookie averaging 3.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 10.6 minutes per game. He also appeared in 29 contest for the Texas Legends of the NBA G League where he appeared in 29 games averaging 15.9 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 30.1 minutes per game. In 20 appearances with the Rio Grande Valley this season, Spalding has averaged 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 26.5 minutes per contest.
After signing Spalding, the Hornets roster stands at 17 players.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2020
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-107 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wigginton Shines in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Hollins Impressive in Drive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Sign Ray Spalding - Greensboro Swarm
- Raptors Sign Paul Watson to a Two-Way Contract - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs to Host The Dream Game on January 21 to Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Austin Spurs
- NAZ Suns Acquire Matt Farrell in Trade with Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornets Waive Robert Franks - Greensboro Swarm
- Cavaliers Sign Matt Mooney to Two-Way Contract - Canton Charge
- Matt Mooney Earns Hustle's First Gatorade Call-Up this Season - Memphis Hustle
- Heat Sign Kyle Alexander to Two-Way Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Nets to Honor Towns of Islip, Oyster Bay and Hempstead at Select Home Games in January - Long Island Nets
- Golden State and Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Roster Moves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Charlie Brown, Jr. to College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Stars Reacquire Guard Kyle Castlin - Salt Lake City Stars
- Phoenix Suns Call up NAZ Suns Forward Tariq Owens - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Sign Two-Way Player Chris Silva to NBA Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Esports Night with Cavs Legion Is this Friday - Canton Charge
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs 126-121 - Stockton Kings
- Austin Spurs Fall to Stockton Kings 126-121 on the Road - Austin Spurs
- Clippers Fizzle After Hot Start - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Charlotte Hornets Assistant Coach Jay Hernandez to Coach Greensboro Swarm at NBA G League Bubble
- Greensboro Swarm Select Admiral Schofield No. 1 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft
- Greensboro Swarm Set to Select No. 1 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft
- Greensboro Swarm, Academy Sports + Outdoors Treat Local Nonprofits with Annual Holiday Shopping Spree
- Charlotte Hornets Announce 2020 Training Camp Roster