Clippers Fizzle After Hot Start
EDINBURG, TX- The Agua Caliente Clippers (11-12) let a strong opening quarter go to waste, falling to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (9-18), 102-112, on Tuesday night.
Things looked promising for the Clippers after a first quarter in which they caused 11 turnovers, held Rio Grande Valley to 3-of-15 shooting from the field for nine points, and led by 20 after the buzzer. However, their outlook quickly changed as the Vipers struck back with a vengeance and put up 43 points on a hot 71.4 percent shooting from the field (15-for-21) in the second quarter to cut the lead down to seven at the half. They would continue their hot shooting the rest of the way, making 62.5 percent of their shots after the opening frame, to steal the victory.
Brandon Sampson led Rio Grande with 23 points on seven-of-10 shooting from the field. Sindarius Thornwell added a double-double of 16 points and 12 rebounds.
The Clippers were paced by Mfiondu Kabengele, who dropped a game-high 25 points to go along with 12 boards for the double-double.
Agua Caliente will try to get back on track as they finish off a three-game road trip on Friday against the Texas Legends (13-11). The game is slated to tip-off at 5:30 p.m. PST inside the Comerica Center in Frisco, Texas.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2020
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-107 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wigginton Shines in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Hollins Impressive in Drive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Sign Ray Spalding - Greensboro Swarm
- Raptors Sign Paul Watson to a Two-Way Contract - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs to Host The Dream Game on January 21 to Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Austin Spurs
- NAZ Suns Acquire Matt Farrell in Trade with Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornets Waive Robert Franks - Greensboro Swarm
- Cavaliers Sign Matt Mooney to Two-Way Contract - Canton Charge
- Matt Mooney Earns Hustle's First Gatorade Call-Up this Season - Memphis Hustle
- Heat Sign Kyle Alexander to Two-Way Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Nets to Honor Towns of Islip, Oyster Bay and Hempstead at Select Home Games in January - Long Island Nets
- Golden State and Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Roster Moves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Charlie Brown, Jr. to College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Stars Reacquire Guard Kyle Castlin - Salt Lake City Stars
- Phoenix Suns Call up NAZ Suns Forward Tariq Owens - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Sign Two-Way Player Chris Silva to NBA Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Esports Night with Cavs Legion Is this Friday - Canton Charge
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs 126-121 - Stockton Kings
- Austin Spurs Fall to Stockton Kings 126-121 on the Road - Austin Spurs
- Clippers Fizzle After Hot Start - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Agua Caliente Clippers Stories
- Agua Caliente to Participate in 2021 NBA G League Season in Orlando
- Agua Caliente Clippers' Johnathan Motley Earns All G-League Honors
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends