Phoenix Suns Call up NAZ Suns Forward Tariq Owens
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Phoenix Suns announced today they have signed Northern Arizona Suns forward Tariq Owens to a Two-Way contract.
Owens is the first NAZ Suns player to be called up to the NBA this season. He is the 10th call-up in team history, the ninth unique player. Owens is now the second Two-Way player between Phoenix and Northern Arizona, joining guard Jared Harper.
Owens (6-10, 205 pounds) has averaged 9.0 points on 55.0 percent field goal shooting, plus 82.8 percent free throw shooting, 7.7 rebounds and a team-high 1.5 blocks per game. He's played in 23 NAZ Suns games this year, getting the start in each.
The 24-year-old has a team-high five double-doubles and 11 multi-block games. League-wide, Owens has tallied the 12th most blocks (34), the 16th most rebounds (178), the tied-13th most defensive rebounds (133) and the tied-31st most offensive rebounds (45). His five double-doubles are tied-33rd most in the league.
The rookie was a member of the Phoenix Suns during their training camp, where he played in two preseason games. Last year, Owens helped Texas Tech win the collegiate national championship.
Owens is the 10th call-up in NAZ Suns history. Other NBA call-ups in team history; Jawun Evans (Phoenix Suns, 2018-19), Xavier Silas (Boston Celtics, 2017-18), Shaquille Harrison (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Josh Gray (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Derrick Jones Jr. (Miami Heat, 2017-18), Isaiah Canaan (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Elijah Millsap (Phoenix Suns, 2016-17), Johnny O'Bryant (Charlotte Hornets, Denver Nuggets, 2016-17).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2020
- Warriors Defeat Wolves, 115-107 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wigginton Shines in Home Loss to Warriors - Iowa Wolves
- Hollins Impressive in Drive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Sign Ray Spalding - Greensboro Swarm
- Raptors Sign Paul Watson to a Two-Way Contract - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs to Host The Dream Game on January 21 to Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Austin Spurs
- NAZ Suns Acquire Matt Farrell in Trade with Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornets Waive Robert Franks - Greensboro Swarm
- Cavaliers Sign Matt Mooney to Two-Way Contract - Canton Charge
- Matt Mooney Earns Hustle's First Gatorade Call-Up this Season - Memphis Hustle
- Heat Sign Kyle Alexander to Two-Way Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Nets to Honor Towns of Islip, Oyster Bay and Hempstead at Select Home Games in January - Long Island Nets
- Golden State and Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Roster Moves - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Charlie Brown, Jr. to College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Stars Reacquire Guard Kyle Castlin - Salt Lake City Stars
- Phoenix Suns Call up NAZ Suns Forward Tariq Owens - Northern Arizona Suns
- Heat Sign Two-Way Player Chris Silva to NBA Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Esports Night with Cavs Legion Is this Friday - Canton Charge
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs 126-121 - Stockton Kings
- Austin Spurs Fall to Stockton Kings 126-121 on the Road - Austin Spurs
- Clippers Fizzle After Hot Start - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.