Rabbits Road Winning Streak Ends at Six Straight
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Ben Finkelstein scored twice, but the Orlando Solar Bears came away with a 3-2 victory on Saturday night at the Amway Center. The Swamp Rabbits and Solar Bears are set to rematch on Monday night to conclude their current three-game set and 2020-21 season-series.
Only 44 seconds into the hockey game, Anthony Repaci tallied first for Orlando. J.J. Piccinich fed Repaci near the low-slot to deflect a quick shot past Rabbits goaltender John Lethemon. Greenville answered at 13:47 on a breakaway marker from a rookie blueliner. Anthony Rinaldi fed a streaking Ben Finkelstein behind the defense who converted his fifth goal of the season. Shots after 20 minutes were 16-6 Orlando with the score even at 1-1.
In the middle stanza, the Bears capitalized on a Greenville defensive zone miscue. Following a steal, Michael Joly stormed the blue paint and danced around Lethemon for his 14th goal of the season at the 9:30 mark. Shots after 40 minutes were 21-19 Orlando with the Bears leading by a 2-1 margin.
Finkelstein opened the third period with his second marker of the night at 1:46 to again bring the game even. Liam Pecararo fed Finkelstein at the left face-off circle who unleashed a seeing-eye missile past Clint Windsor.
But with only 1:27 remaining, Orlando reclaimed a lead for their third and final time. After Lethemon lost his footing in the goal crease, Matthew Spencer found an opening and hit twine. The goal was initially washed out due to goalie interference, but upon video review, the goal counted for the eventual game-winner.
Final shots totaled 33-27 Solar Bears. Greenville finished 0-for-2 on the power play and 1-for-1 on the penalty kill.
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits will look to salvage their current three-game set versus Orlando in Monday's rubber match at the Amway Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 8, 2021
- Buitenhuis, Special Teams Propel Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Third Period Rally Ends Americans Winning Streak - Allen Americans
- Oilers Bounce Back with Big Road Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Shutout by Wichita Saturday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Late Spencer goal lifts Solar Bears to 3-2 win over Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Goal Propels Indy over Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Rabbits Road Winning Streak Ends at Six Straight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Watling's Four-Goal Night Leads the Way in Wild Win - Wheeling Nailers
- 40 Shots Not Enough for SC in 3-2 Loss to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Slip Past Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview vs. Wichita Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - May 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - May 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Solar Bears, 7 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Nailers at Icemen, May 8, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Preview: Final Game of Homestand, Season Series with Rush - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Blades Primed for Blackout Night - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, May 8 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Third Period Rally Leads Americans Past Tulsa - Allen Americans
- 5 Goal First Period Leads Grizzlies to Friday Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2021-22 Promotions Schedule
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020-21 Season-Ending Roster
- Greenville's Season Ends on Monday Night in Charleston
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Finals (Game 4)
- Rays Rally Late to Snatch 2-1 Series Lead