40 Shots Not Enough for SC in 3-2 Loss to Blades
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (35-17-2-2) scored the only goal of the third period which was enough to get past the South Carolina Stingrays (24-20-10-3), who had a 40-26 edge in shots on goal, by a final score of 3-2 at Hertz Arena on Saturday night.
Stingrays' goals came from forwards Mark Cooper and Dan DeSalvo, while goaltender Matt Jurusik made 23 saves and Matthew Weis extended his point streak to seven games with an assist.
The Everblades took the lead right from the start, scoring on the first shot of the game by Cole Sanford just 20 seconds into the contest to make it 1-0.
In the middle period, DeSalvo moved through the defense on the power play and beat goaltender Jake Hildebrand for his 15th goal of the season at 3:23 of the second to tie the game at 1-1. Weis and Supinski earned helpers on the man-advantage tally.
Later in the frame, defender Blake Hillman let a shot go from the left wall that was deflected in by Cooper for his eighth of the year, securing the Rays a 2-1 lead at 9:58. A second assist on the goal went to forward Dylan Steman
But just 2:13 later, Joe Pendenza evened the game at 2-2 with a goal for Florida at 12:11.
The Everblades secured the deciding goal at 7:28 of the third period on a redirect by Stefan Leblanc. SC had multiple chances late, including a shot that rang off the post in the final seconds, but were unable to find an equalizer.
South Carolina had the advantage on special teams, scoring the only power play goal of the night (1-for-6) while holding Florida to an 0-for-2 mark on the man-advantage. Hildebrand earned the win for the Everblades by making 38 saves on the 40 chances put on net by SC.
The Stingrays return home to face the Indy Fuel at the North Charleston Coliseum on Tuesday and Wednesday evening, with both contests beginning at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 8, 2021
- Buitenhuis, Special Teams Propel Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Third Period Rally Ends Americans Winning Streak - Allen Americans
- Oilers Bounce Back with Big Road Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Shutout by Wichita Saturday Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Late Spencer goal lifts Solar Bears to 3-2 win over Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Goal Propels Indy over Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Rabbits Road Winning Streak Ends at Six Straight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Watling's Four-Goal Night Leads the Way in Wild Win - Wheeling Nailers
- 40 Shots Not Enough for SC in 3-2 Loss to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Slip Past Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview vs. Wichita Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - May 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - May 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Solar Bears, 7 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Nailers at Icemen, May 8, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Preview: Final Game of Homestand, Season Series with Rush - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Blades Primed for Blackout Night - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, May 8 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Third Period Rally Leads Americans Past Tulsa - Allen Americans
- 5 Goal First Period Leads Grizzlies to Friday Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Greenville Gets Past SC in Game 2 to Even Series
- Preview: Game 2: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, June 18 at 7:05 PM
- Stingrays Blow by Greenville in Decisive Game 1
- Preview: Game 1: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, June 16 at 7:05 PM
- Ully Strikes Twice to Send Rays to Eastern Conference Finals