Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (33-11-5-0, 71 pts.) aim to stay on top of the ECHL standings and halt a brief two-game losing streak when they host the Orlando Solar Bears (25-18-3-0, 53 pts.) in an in-state rivalry matchup on Wednesday night at Hertz Arena.
Game 50: Everblades vs. Orlando
When: 7:30 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Listen: 99.3 ESPN
Social: Twitter | #ORLvsFLA
Game notes: Click here
Last Time Out
Adirondack scored twice in the first period and Alex Sakellaropoulos made 26 saves to lead the Thunder to a series victory with a 4-1 win over the Everblades in the finale of the three-game set on Saturday night. Kyle Platzer hit the 20-goal plateau when he scored Florida's only goal of the night in the second period. Brian Ward led the way offensively for the Thunder with three points (1g-2a), while Dylan Walchuk and James Henry both had two points to snap Jeremy Helvig's 13-game personal winning streak.
Players to Watch
Kyle Platzer (FLA) - The Waterloo, Ontario, native became the third 'Blades player to reach the 20-goal plateau when he notched his 20th goal of the season on Saturday. Platzer, a fourth-year pro, snapped a five-game goal drought with Saturday's tally and has tabbed 11 multi-point games this season, including Florida's only hat trick of the season on Jan. 12 against Greenville.
Martin Ouellette (ORL) - Ouellette, who is under contract with the AHL's Syracuse Crunch, has seen the most time in net for the Solar Bears this season and has appeared in 21 contests with a record of 14-6-1. The former Everblades goaltender is the reigning ECHL Goaltender of the Week after going 3-0-0 last week with a 1.59 goals-against-average and a .944 save percentage.
Wednesday night marks the 86th all-time meeting between Florida and Orlando. Florida leads the series with a 57-22-6 record against the Solar Bears and is 2-1-2 against Orlando this season. In the most recent meeting between the two teams on Dec. 22, the Everblades overcame a 5-3 deficit in the third period to earn a 6-5 overtime win. Matt Finn (1g-2a) and Derek Sheppard (2g-1a) both had three-point games for Florida that night to pace the offensive attack.
Florida is tied for the second-most home wins in the ECHL with 17, and its offensive prowess at Hertz Arena has been a big reason for its success. Despite scoring just one goal in each of its last two home games, Florida is still averaging 4.13 goals per game on home ice this season. The Everblades have scored four or more goals in 15 of their 23 home games and have a 14-0-1 record when they've hit at least four goals at home.
First and Foremost
Florida has allowed the first goal in three straight games, the second-longest stretch of permitting the first goal this season. The 'Blades yielded the first tally in four consecutive games from Nov. 9-16, which coincided with the only other string of two consecutive losses this season. Florida has scored the first goal in 13 of its 23 home games and is 10-1-2 when finding the back of the net first at home.
Three has been the magic number for Florida this season. The 'Blades have yet to lose a game in regulation when they have found the back of the net three times, sporting a record of 33-0-4-0 in that scenario. However, Florida has not won a game in which it has scored less than three goals and is now 0-11-1-0 after Saturday night's 4-1 loss.
Wednesday's broadcast against Orlando will air on 99.3 FM ESPN. The change in the station is just for Wednesday's game, and WJBX will continue to be the home of 'Blades hockey in the 2018-19 season. Both 99.3 ESPN and WJBX are owned and operated by Beasley Media Group. Fans can listen live online at 993espn.com.
Florida starts its final non-divisional series of the season on Friday night with the series opener of a two-game set with the Manchester Monarchs. The game gets underway at 7:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2019
- Solar Bears Win Streak Halted in 5-2 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Fall to Oilers in Makeup Game, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Blanked in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner's 37 Saves Not Enough in 3-1 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Martin Completes Miraculous Mariners Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Ruby Shines in 5-2 Win over Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Knocked Down at Wheeling, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign David Mazurek - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution - Maine Mariners
- Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt - Florida Everblades
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Scheduled for March 3rd - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Admirals, February 13, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roe Returns to 'Blades from Loan to AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Indy Trades for Forward Woody Hudson - Indy Fuel
- Game Day: Royals Seek 100th Win Ever vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Agree to Terms with Defenseman Ben Masella
- Everblades 2020-21 Captain John McCarron Returns
- Jesse Kallechy Signs Three Year Extension with the Everblades
- Brad Ralph Signs Five Year Extension with the Everblades
- Everblades Fall Short in Decisive Game 5