Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1
INDEPENDENCE, MO - A goal from Tulsa Oilers (28-17-6) captain Adam Pleskach in the final minute of the second period and a 23-save performance from Devin Williams helped the Oilers to a 2-1 win Wednesday over the Kansas City Mavericks (24-19-3) at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
The Oilers killed off an early Mavericks power play and weathered an early storm to come away unscathed in the first period. On a delayed Kansas City penalty, Ryan Tesink stepped off the Oilers bench as the extra attacker and ripped a shot between the legs of goaltender Mason McDonald to put Tulsa in front 1-0 late in the frame.
Kansas City tied the score on a transition rush, when Darian Dziurzynski ripped a shot from high in the slot under the crossbar. Shortly after Tulsa's fourth power play expired late in the second period, Pleskach raced in on a 2-on-1 rush and snapped a shot that fooled McDonald, trickling into the net to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead after two.
Williams stopped all 12 shots in the third period, including a flurry late, to fend off the Mavericks comeback effort, as the Oilers won their ninth road game in the last 11 contests.
The Oilers return home for three games in three nights on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center. Tulsa hosts Wichita for another edition of the Stonewolf Casino Cup rivalry Friday at 7:05pm, before welcoming their only Eastern Conference opponent, the Worcester Railers, to town Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's game is Pink in the Rink Night, raising money and awareness for cancer research. A portion of the postgame jersey auction will go to local cancer charities.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2019
- Solar Bears Win Streak Halted in 5-2 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Fall to Oilers in Makeup Game, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Blanked in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner's 37 Saves Not Enough in 3-1 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Martin Completes Miraculous Mariners Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Ruby Shines in 5-2 Win over Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Knocked Down at Wheeling, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign David Mazurek - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution - Maine Mariners
- Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt - Florida Everblades
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Scheduled for March 3rd - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Admirals, February 13, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roe Returns to 'Blades from Loan to AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Indy Trades for Forward Woody Hudson - Indy Fuel
- Game Day: Royals Seek 100th Win Ever vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oilers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players
- Oilers Complete Future Considerations Deal
- Equipment Managers Recognized with Equipment Manager of the Year Award Presented by Warrior Hockey
- Athletic Trainers Recognized with Athletic Trainer of the Year Award Presented by Fairly Group
- Oilers Fall in Final Game of Season