Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (33-9-3-3) shut out the Indy Fuel, 5-0, on Wednesday night. Forwards Judd Peterson, Mike Marnell, and Nate Mitton, along with defensemen Mitch Jones and Eric Knodel scored the goals for the Cyclones, while goaltender Jonas Johansson earned his third shutout of the season, stopping all 30 shots he faced.
Cincinnati only needed 2:54 to get on the board, as defenseman Tobie Bisson dug the puck out of the left corner and sent a pass to Peterson in the slot, and he rifled a shot in past Indy goaltender Matt Tomkins to put Cincinnati ahead, 1-0. That lead became 2-0 before the intermission when, in a similar play, forward Vas Glotov sent a pass from the corner to Jones who was coming down the slot, and he lit the lamp to put the 'Clones up by a pair after 20 minutes.
In the second, Cincinnati's offensive charge continued and they took a 3-0 lead 7:45 in when Marnell picked off an Indy Fuel pass from the left half-wall, skated in on goal and scored to put the Cyclones up by a field goal.
Roughly two and a half minutes later the Cyclones power play struck again when Knodel took a feed at the blue line from forward Jesse Schultz, and he launched a shot through traffic and in to give Cincinnati a 4-0 advantage.
The Cyclones capped off the period just after the midway mark when Mitton took the puck behind the net, skated to the left side, and scored on the wrap-around to put Cincinnati on top, 5-0, after two periods.
Cincinnati shut Indy down defensively in the third, as Johansson steered aside all 11 shots he faced to preserve the Cyclones' 5-0 shutout victory. The 'Clones outshot the Fuel, 37-30 on the night, while the power play converted on two of its four chances. Cincinnati is back on home ice on Friday night to take on the Toledo Walleye. Face-is scheduled for 7:35pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2019
- Solar Bears Win Streak Halted in 5-2 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Fall to Oilers in Makeup Game, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Blanked in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner's 37 Saves Not Enough in 3-1 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Martin Completes Miraculous Mariners Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Ruby Shines in 5-2 Win over Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Knocked Down at Wheeling, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign David Mazurek - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution - Maine Mariners
- Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt - Florida Everblades
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Scheduled for March 3rd - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Admirals, February 13, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roe Returns to 'Blades from Loan to AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Indy Trades for Forward Woody Hudson - Indy Fuel
- Game Day: Royals Seek 100th Win Ever vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Offense Back on Track with Game 3 Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 3 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Fall in Game 2 of Opening Round
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 2 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Take Playoff Opener against Kalamazoo