Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1
NORFOLK, VA - Kelly Klima scored a goal and added two assists as the Norfolk Admirals topped the South Carolina Stingrays 3-1 Wednesday Night at Scope. Ty Reichenbach was strong as he made 37 saves on 39 shots in the win. With the win, Norfolk now sits seven points back of the fourth and final playoff spot in the South Division with a record of (20-24-3-3, 46 pts) on the year.
After a first period that featured the Admirals outshooting the Stingrays 20-9 in the first period, the two teams went into the first break scoreless.
Norfolk gained the lead courtesy of a power-play goal from Kelly Klima. Ben Duffy skated into the South Carolina zone and deked around a defender which led to an odd man rush. Duffy fed a pass from between the circles to Connor Hurley in the left circle. Hurley fed a pass back-door to Kelly Klima who was there to redirect the pass behind Parker Milner to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead at 6:57 of the second period.
South Carolina would tie the game on a power-play goal from Grant Besse. Vinny Muto gathered the puck at the center point after a failed clear by an Admirals defender. Muto played the pass into the right circle for Jordan Samuels-Thomas. Samuels-Thomas fed a slap pass to Grant Besse on the right side of the net. Besse picked up the puck and was able to slide it under Reichenbach after he made the initial save to tie the game at one goal with less than a minute to play in the second period.
The Admirals regained the lead on Chase Harrison's first goal of the season. Kelly Klima dumped the puck into the South Carolina zone. Hurley found the puck behind the net and attempted to play the puck into the crease. Hurley's pass which was intended for Klima in the slot, eluded him and ended up on the stick of Chase Harrison at the left point. Harrison teed off a slapshot that beat Milner on the glove side to give Norfolk a 2-1 lead at 5:05 of the third period.
The Admirals held off the Stingray attack for the remainder of the period while Ben Duffy added a late empty-net goal as Norfolk would win by a 3-1 margin.
Box Score / Gamesheet
Ty Reichenbach was strong as he turned aside 29 of 30 shots and picks up his 15th win of the year, while Parker Milner made 37 saves on 39 shots and suffers the defeat.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Friday, February 15, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Virginia is for Hockey Lovers Night!
Saturday, February 16, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Valentine's Day / Netflix & Chill Night
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2019
- Solar Bears Win Streak Halted in 5-2 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Fall to Oilers in Makeup Game, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Blanked in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner's 37 Saves Not Enough in 3-1 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Martin Completes Miraculous Mariners Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Ruby Shines in 5-2 Win over Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Knocked Down at Wheeling, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign David Mazurek - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution - Maine Mariners
- Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt - Florida Everblades
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Scheduled for March 3rd - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Admirals, February 13, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roe Returns to 'Blades from Loan to AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Indy Trades for Forward Woody Hudson - Indy Fuel
- Game Day: Royals Seek 100th Win Ever vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin