Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution
PORTLAND, ME - A joint resolution to declare February 6th, 2019 "National Girls & Women in Sports Day" led by Senator Cathy Breen was approved by the Maine State Legislature on Wednesday at the State Capitol in Augusta, ME. The resolution was presented to the legislature on Tuesday, with Mariners V.P. of business operations Adam Goldberg on hand along with representatives from the Maine Red Claws, The University of Maine Athletic Department, Bowdoin College, Bates College, and the Maine Sports Commission.
According to a release from the Maine Sports Commission: "The resolution recognizes the positive impact that sports participation has on female athletes, while also shedding light on the continuing struggle to provide equal access to sports programs for girls and women throughout the United States."
"My experience as a student athlete taught me the benefits of regular physical fitness and self-discipline, how to communicate and work effectively with others from different backgrounds, and how to be a leader," said Senator Breen. "These lessons have served me well and have been a critical part of my success in life. All young people, regardless of gender, deserve the same opportunity to see what they are made of by pushing their limits, working as part of a team and competing against others. I can't imagine my life without having had this experience, and I am glad the Legislature is formally recognizing its importance."
The Mariners hosted "Women in Sports Night" on Saturday, February 2nd, inviting local female athletes to give pre-game speeches and participate in a ceremonial puck drop. On hand were Kristina Sabasteanski (a two-time Olympian), April Fournier (co-founder of the first all-indigenous women's roller derby team), and Kirsten Beverely-Waters (a yogi and fitness instructor).
The Mariners are home tonight, finishing their five game homestand as they return to divisional play and host the Worcester Railers at 7:00 PM. Only two home games remain in the month of February - the other is Sunday, February 24th at 3:00 PM also against Worcester. A full team autograph session will follow the game. Single game tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2019
- Solar Bears Win Streak Halted in 5-2 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Fall to Oilers in Makeup Game, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Blanked in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Fend off Mavericks 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Milner's 37 Saves Not Enough in 3-1 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Johansson Perfect in Cyclones Return to Home Ice - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Klima's Three Points Pushes Norfolk Past Stingrays 3-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Martin Completes Miraculous Mariners Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Ruby Shines in 5-2 Win over Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Knocked Down at Wheeling, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Sign David Mazurek - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Back National Girls & Women in Sports Day Joint Resolution - Maine Mariners
- Preview: Everblades Renew Rivalry with Orlando with Wednesday Night Tilt - Florida Everblades
- Wheelchair Hockey Game Scheduled for March 3rd - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Admirals, February 13, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 13 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roe Returns to 'Blades from Loan to AHL's Manitoba Moose - Florida Everblades
- Indy Trades for Forward Woody Hudson - Indy Fuel
- Game Day: Royals Seek 100th Win Ever vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.