Penguins Rally, Fall in OT to Bruins
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins erased a two-goal period deficit in the third period, but were defeated in overtime by the Providence Bruins, 4-3, on Wednesday at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton went to 25-12-2-4 on the season and moved into sole possession of first place in the East Division.
Down by a score of 3-1 in the third, defenseman Joey Mormina pulled the Penguins within a goal at 5:48 as he sidestepped a Bruins forward and snapped a shot from the far circle to the top corner of the net.
Less than three minutes later, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton evened the contest at three when Geoff Walker spun out of the near corner and whipped a shot that rolled up the stick of Providence goalie Anton Khudobin and across the goal line.
In the overtime period, Craig Cunningham needed only 27 seconds to give the Bruins the win, intercepting a pass in front of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton net and send a quick backhander past a sprawled out Brad Thiessen.
The Penguins' early game woes on home ice continued as the Bruins found the back of the net just 42 seconds into the match. Josh Hennessy took a faceoff win and centered a pass that Jordan Caron tipped over the leg pad of Scott Munroe.
Providence pushed its lead to 2-0 at 15:47 of the same period when David Warsofsky trailed in on a 4-on-3 rush and fired a shot from the center point that sneaked inside the near post.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tallied its first goal 66 seconds later as Matt Rust set up Colin McDonald in the high slot where he beat Khudobin with a quick wrist shot for his 12th goal of the year.
Holding a one-goal edge going into the second period, the Bruins went up, 3-1, at 4:31 of the frame. Trent Whitfield took a center-ice turnover and broke down the left wing before letting a loose a shot that eluded the glove of Munroe. Munroe would exit the game in favor of Thiessen, having made seven saves on ten shots.
Thiessen suffered the loss despite turning aside 8-of-9 shots in 36:14 of relief work.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins travel to Connecticut to battle the Whale on Friday, January 27 at 7:00 PM. For more information, call the Penguins at (570) 208-PENS or visit www.wbspenguins.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2012
- Correction: Wolves Scorch Abbotsford 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Fall 4-3 in Shootout to IceCaps - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Beat Sharks 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Strong First Period Sparks Griffins' 4-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Win a Kozy One - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Even Season Series with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Rally, Fall in OT to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Get Doubled up 4-2 by Falcons - Worcester Sharks
- Strong First Period Sends Griffins Past Amerks, 4-1 - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Defeat Penguins 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Release Hoffman - Portland Pirates
- Pink in the Rink Night Set for Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Assign Summers, Goncharov, Pouliot to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Barons Assign Kytnar To Stockto - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Sign Dylan Yeo To Contract - Oklahoma City Barons
- Oilers Assign Chorney, Hartikainen & Paajarvi - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Release Dee from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Announce Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ducks Return Bell and Guenin to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barberio and Conacher Named All-Star Starters - Norfolk Admirals
- Dallas Assigns Fraser, Vincour and Larsen - Texas Stars
- Admirals Return Quick to ECHL, Release Pelech - Norfolk Admirals
- Starters Named, Borowiecki Added for 2012 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Lightning Assign Angelidis, Labrie, Oberg and Smith to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Blackhawks Assign Pirri and Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier & Gagnon to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Ryan Ellis out of AHL All-Star Classic Because of Recall - AHL
- Senators Re-Assign Borowiecki and Petersson to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Chris Porter Assiged on Conditioning - Peoria Rivermen
- Capitals Assign Cody Eakin to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Announce Details of Taco Bell Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Wolves Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Host Amerks for Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves End Skid with 3-2 Win Over Heat - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.