Pirates Release Hoffman
Portland, Maine - The Portland Pirates today announced they have released Mike Hoffman from his professional tryout agreement (PTO) with the team.
Hoffman joined the Pirates on December 8. The 6-foot-5, 250 pound winger played in 13 games for Portland, tallying two assists, which both came in a 6-3 victory over Providence at the Cumberland County Civic Center on December 28. The Scituate, Massachusetts native last played in a game on January 15, a 4-1 win at Manchester. Hoffman ended his time in Portland with a -1 rating and 32 penalty minutes.
The 31 year-old previously played for the Pirates from 2006-2008. In his first stint, Hoffman totaled nine goals and eight assists for 17 points, racked up 124 penalty minutes and registered a +5 rating in 69 regular season games. He also tallied one goal and one assist for two points and 11 penalty minutes in 11 games for the Pirates during the 2008 Calder Cup Playoffs.
Prior to joining the Pirates this season, Hoffman played seven games for the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL. While there, he scored one goal to go along with 14 penalty minutes and a -2 rating.
Hoffman has played professional hockey for nine seasons. After playing parts of two seasons with the University of Connecticut Huskies, Hoffman broke into the AHL in 2003-04 with the Worcester IceCats. He has also had AHL stops with the Cleveland Barons, Toronto Marlies, Manchester Monarchs, and Chicago Wolves. Besides Las Vegas earlier this season, Hoffman has also previously played for the ECHL's Peoria Rivermen and Florida Everblades. Hoffman spent last season with the Belfast Giants of the Elite Ice Hockey League in Great Britain.
The Portland Pirates continue their seven-game home stand when they host the Springfield Falcons on Friday, January 27 at 7:00 p.m. It's Maine State Lottery Night and one lucky fan will win free Powerball tickets for one full year! All fans age 18 or older will be eligible to participate in the raffle. Other prizes from the Maine State Lottery will be given throughout the night. It's another Five County Friday, where it pays to be a member of Five County Credit Union! For more info on tickets for members, log onto fivecounty.com. Offered during all nine Friday home games during the 2011-12 season is the special "Dollar Desert Dog" promotion where fans can purchase their "Dollar Desert Dogs" for a SINGLE DOLLAR at any of the Civic Center concession locations on the concourse from an hour before faceoff until 10 minutes after the second period begins!
Now is the time to cash in on great savings by purchasing discounted ticket plans for the Pirates 2011-12 season. Ticket packages are available to meet all budgets and schedules. Call a Pirates ticket representative today at 207-828-4665 x350 to reserve your seats for any combination of games that Pirates hockey, "Coyotes Style", has to offer. Individual tickets for the each of the remaining 16 home games of the Pirates 2011-12 regular season schedule are on sale and fans can purchase their tickets by visiting the Pirates ticket office, Cumberland County Civic Center box office (open Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.) or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2012
- Correction: Wolves Scorch Abbotsford 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Fall 4-3 in Shootout to IceCaps - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Beat Sharks 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Strong First Period Sparks Griffins' 4-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Win a Kozy One - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Even Season Series with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Rally, Fall in OT to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Get Doubled up 4-2 by Falcons - Worcester Sharks
- Strong First Period Sends Griffins Past Amerks, 4-1 - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Defeat Penguins 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Release Hoffman - Portland Pirates
- Pink in the Rink Night Set for Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Assign Summers, Goncharov, Pouliot to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Barons Assign Kytnar To Stockto - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Sign Dylan Yeo To Contract - Oklahoma City Barons
- Oilers Assign Chorney, Hartikainen & Paajarvi - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Release Dee from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Announce Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ducks Return Bell and Guenin to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barberio and Conacher Named All-Star Starters - Norfolk Admirals
- Dallas Assigns Fraser, Vincour and Larsen - Texas Stars
- Admirals Return Quick to ECHL, Release Pelech - Norfolk Admirals
- Starters Named, Borowiecki Added for 2012 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Lightning Assign Angelidis, Labrie, Oberg and Smith to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Blackhawks Assign Pirri and Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier & Gagnon to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Ryan Ellis out of AHL All-Star Classic Because of Recall - AHL
- Senators Re-Assign Borowiecki and Petersson to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Chris Porter Assiged on Conditioning - Peoria Rivermen
- Capitals Assign Cody Eakin to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Announce Details of Taco Bell Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Wolves Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Host Amerks for Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves End Skid with 3-2 Win Over Heat - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.