Blackhawks Assign Pirri and Smith to Rockford
Rockford, Ill.- The Chicago Blackhawks announced on Wednesday that they have returned forwards Brandon Pirri and Ben Smith on loan to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League. Additionally, center David Gilbert has been reassigned to the ECHL's Toledo Walleye.
Pirri, 20, has registered two assists and a +2 plus/minus rating in five contests with the Blackhawks this year and paced Chicago with four goals and five points in four games during the 2011 preseason. The Toronto native leads the IceHogs with 18 goals and a +12 plus/minus rating. He also ranks eighth in the AHL with 41 points (18g-23a) in 41 tilts this season.
Last season, Pirri led all IceHogs rookies with 31 assists and 43 points in 70 games. Before turning pro, Pirri played one season with RPI (NCAA) and accumulated 11g-32a-43pts in 32 games with the Engineers.
Smith, 23, has recorded two goals in 13 regular-season games with Chicago this season. Additionally, the Avon, Connecticut, native shares second on the IceHogs with 12 goals and five power-play markers in 22 AHL tilts.
Originally selected by the Blackhawks in the sixth round (169th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Smith has tallied 21 points (12G, 9A) and a +2 plus/minus rating this year with Rockford.
Smith skated in 63 games for the IceHogs during the 2010-11 season, finishing the campaign with 19 goals and 31 points (19g-12a) during his first professional season. For his efforts, Smith was named the IceHogs 2010-11 Rookie of the Year.
Gilbert, 20, has registered five points (1g-4a) in 23 games for the IceHogs this season. The Chateauguay, Quebec native has also tallied seven points (1g-6a) in 10 games for the Walleye in 2011-12.
Prior to 2011-12, the Blackhawks seventh round (209th overall) pick in 2009 played six total games with the IceHogs over two campaigns following his seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, scoring two goals and two assists.
Next Home Game: Saturday, Jan. 28 vs. Milwaukee Admirals: The puck drops at 7:05 p.m."Rockford and Milwaukee meet up once again at the BMO"Harris Bank Center for the IceHogs Annual Pink in the Rink Night. The ice will be pink and the IceHogs will be wearing special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit breast cancer research and awareness.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2012
- Correction: Wolves Scorch Abbotsford 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Fall 4-3 in Shootout to IceCaps - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Beat Sharks 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Strong First Period Sparks Griffins' 4-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Win a Kozy One - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Even Season Series with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Rally, Fall in OT to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Get Doubled up 4-2 by Falcons - Worcester Sharks
- Strong First Period Sends Griffins Past Amerks, 4-1 - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Defeat Penguins 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Release Hoffman - Portland Pirates
- Pink in the Rink Night Set for Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Assign Summers, Goncharov, Pouliot to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Barons Assign Kytnar To Stockto - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Sign Dylan Yeo To Contract - Oklahoma City Barons
- Oilers Assign Chorney, Hartikainen & Paajarvi - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Release Dee from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Announce Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ducks Return Bell and Guenin to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barberio and Conacher Named All-Star Starters - Norfolk Admirals
- Dallas Assigns Fraser, Vincour and Larsen - Texas Stars
- Admirals Return Quick to ECHL, Release Pelech - Norfolk Admirals
- Starters Named, Borowiecki Added for 2012 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Lightning Assign Angelidis, Labrie, Oberg and Smith to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Blackhawks Assign Pirri and Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier & Gagnon to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Ryan Ellis out of AHL All-Star Classic Because of Recall - AHL
- Senators Re-Assign Borowiecki and Petersson to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Chris Porter Assiged on Conditioning - Peoria Rivermen
- Capitals Assign Cody Eakin to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Announce Details of Taco Bell Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Wolves Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Host Amerks for Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves End Skid with 3-2 Win Over Heat - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Get Discounted Tickets, Win Dach Autographed Jersey Friday
- Hogs Cap Homestand with $2 Beer, Magnet Schedule Giveaway
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint
- $5 Kids Tickets, Pet-Item Drive Set for Monday Matinee vs. Laval