Sound Tigers Fall 4-3 in Shootout to IceCaps
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Jan. 25, 2012) - Sound Tigers All-Star forward Casey Cizikas recorded two goals and added an assist, but St. John's recorded three power play goals and Carl Klingberg netted the game-winner in the fourth round of the shootout as the IceCaps defeated Bridgeport 4-3 at Webster Bank Arena on Wednesday night. With the win, St. John's improves to 25-11-3-1. The Sound Tigers eight-game winning streak is snapped with the shootout loss, but they do earn a point as their record now stands at 20-17-3-2.
The Sound Tigers opened the scoring midway through the opening period with a power play goal of their own. Cizikas, who was named to the 2012 AHL All-Star roster on Tuesday, held the puck deep in the St. John's zone. The rookie forward fired the puck off a St. John's defenseman and past goaltender Edward Pasquale for his 10th goal of the season to give the Sound Tigers a 1-0 lead. The IceCaps evened the score late in the period with the first of three power play goals. Shawn Weller was camped in front of Kevin Poulin and deflected Jason DeSantis' shot past the Sound Tigers netminder at 18:07 to make the score 1-1.
St. John's took the lead 2:44 into the second period when DeSantis beat Poulin with a blast from the point on the power play to give the IceCaps a 2-1 advantage. The score remained that way until the early portion of the third period when St. John's scored their third goal with the man advantage. Paul Postma sent a shot from the point that made its way through traffic past Poulin for his seventh goal of the season to give the IceCaps a 3-1 lead 1:59 into the final period.
The Sound Tigers cut their two-goal deficit in half just 1:39 later. Rhett Rakhshani carried the puck into the St. John's zone, waited by the right circle and dropped the puck back for Matt Donovan. The rookie defenseman skated towards the slot and sent a slap shot past Pasquale for his fifth goal of the season as the Sound Tigers trailed by a goal. Cizikas brought the Sound Tigers even with 8:16 left in regulation. Donovan sent a pass from the point down to Tyler McNeely, who sent a pass on net. Pasquale made the initial save, but Cizikas was there to bang the rebound home for his second goal of the night.
Neither side could break the tie throughout the rest of regulation or overtime as the respective clubs needed the shootout to settle the score. Ben Maxwell led the shootout off for St. John's by beating Poulin over his blocker in the first round. Sound Tigers forward Scott Howes made multiple dekes before backhanding the puck over Pasquale's left pad in the bottom portion of the third round to even the shootout at one. Klingberg beat Poulin in the first half of the fourth round to give St. John's the 2-1 advantage, and after Aaron Ness hit a post and Poulin denied Gregoire, Rakhshani was the final hope for the Sound Tigers. However, Rakhshani was unable to get a clean shot off on Pasquale as St. John's came away with the 4-3 shootout win.
The Sound Tigers return to action Friday night when they visit the Adirondack Phantoms at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2012
- Correction: Wolves Scorch Abbotsford 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Fall 4-3 in Shootout to IceCaps - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Beat Sharks 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Strong First Period Sparks Griffins' 4-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Win a Kozy One - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Even Season Series with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Rally, Fall in OT to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Get Doubled up 4-2 by Falcons - Worcester Sharks
- Strong First Period Sends Griffins Past Amerks, 4-1 - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Defeat Penguins 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Pirates Release Hoffman - Portland Pirates
- Pink in the Rink Night Set for Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Assign Summers, Goncharov, Pouliot to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Barons Assign Kytnar To Stockto - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Sign Dylan Yeo To Contract - Oklahoma City Barons
- Oilers Assign Chorney, Hartikainen & Paajarvi - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Release Dee from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Announce Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ducks Return Bell and Guenin to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barberio and Conacher Named All-Star Starters - Norfolk Admirals
- Dallas Assigns Fraser, Vincour and Larsen - Texas Stars
- Admirals Return Quick to ECHL, Release Pelech - Norfolk Admirals
- Starters Named, Borowiecki Added for 2012 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Lightning Assign Angelidis, Labrie, Oberg and Smith to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Blackhawks Assign Pirri and Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier & Gagnon to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Ryan Ellis out of AHL All-Star Classic Because of Recall - AHL
- Senators Re-Assign Borowiecki and Petersson to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Chris Porter Assiged on Conditioning - Peoria Rivermen
- Capitals Assign Cody Eakin to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Announce Details of Taco Bell Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Wolves Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Host Amerks for Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves End Skid with 3-2 Win Over Heat - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Sound Tigers Set Home Opener for October 19
- Bridgeport's season ends in Game 5 overtime loss
- Sound Tigers Host Bears in Decisive Game 5 Tonight
- Lorito scores at 1:13 of overtime to force winner-take-all Game 5 on Saturday
- Sound Tigers Battle in Must-Win Game 4 Tonight