P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2
BRIDGEPORT, CT. - Jack Studnicka extended his point streak to three games, but Bridgeport's three goals in the first period were too much to overcome, as the Providence Bruins fell to the Sound Tigers, 4-2, on Saturday night.
Brendan Woods also scored for Providence in the loss, with Alex Petrovic and Paul Carey picking up the assists. Providence outshot Bridgeport, 46-25.
1st 2nd 3rd Final
PROVIDENCE 0 0 2 2
BRIDGEPORT 3 0 1 4
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"I think the first four minutes were good. Then we just made mistakes that can't happen. It's very unacceptable at this point of the season. We haven't played in a week so we were sleeping a little bit, but the second goal was essentially the same play. We didn't learn from our mistake on the first goal and that's unacceptable. It's really a shame because we did start the game the right way, but we had to chase it.
"We were able to find our game in the third, but by then it was too late. Chasing a 3-0 deficit usually doesn't end up in your favor and that's what happened tonight. "
JACK STUDNICKA - ONE GOAL
"I think we had some chances in the first period that we didn't bear down on. They had their chances and were able to capitalize. It's hard to come back from a three-goal deficit, but the boys didn't give up and we fought until the end."
- Jack Studnicka scored his sixth shorthanded goal of the season, which leads the AHL. With his goal, Studnicka extended his point streak to three games. He has recorded six points (4G, 2A) during that span.
- Brendan Woods scored his eighth goal of the season and has recorded 16 points this season in 37 games. Woods collected 17 points in 53 games with the Utica Comets last season.
- Alex Petrovic recorded his 18th assist of the season on the goal by Woods. The 18 assists are tied for the second most on the P-Bruins.
- Paul Carey recorded an assist for the second consecutive game. He has notched 15 helpers this season.
- The P-Bruins will return home to Providence, Rhode Island for a rematch with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Sunday, February 9 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 3:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2020
- Power Play Leads the Way as Eagles Top Barracuda 4-3 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Earns 5-2 Victory against Stockton - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Begin Road Trip with 3-2 (OT) Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Griffins Rally from Three Down to Earn Point - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ustimenko Sparkles in AHL Debut - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Shine in Overtime in 4-3 Victory over Griffins - Texas Stars
- Rampage Top IceHogs on Reinke's Winner - San Antonio Rampage
- Glass Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Lose to Phantoms, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Ryan MacInnis to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Gibson makes season-high 44 saves on 46 shots Saturday night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Clip Thunderbirds, Win Season-Series - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Edged by Comets, 5-4, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Down Crunch in Shootout Thriller - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Heat Drop Weekend Opener at Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Bears Get Better of T-Birds in Hershey - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Beat Rocket in OT on Formenton Winner - Belleville Senators
- Kuokkanen Lifts Checkers over Hartford in Overtime - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Edge Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Blanked by Marlies - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Texas Stars Recall Anthony Nellis from Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Bears Recall Defenseman Tommy Hughes from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Heat Start Weekend Set at Iowa Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Host Americans for a Saturday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 8, 2020 at Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Thunderbirds, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Fehervary Recalled by Capitals - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, February 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game 45 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Meet Bruins Twice this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Set Team Record with 10 Goals in Rout - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Earn Point in OT Loss to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Come Close But Suffer Tough To Swallow Defeat In San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Remain Hot against Tucson - San Diego Gulls
- Fog Fall to Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Fall to Eagles in Heated Affair, 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Ads Battle Back to Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Goaltender Battle Goes to Chicago - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2