P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
PROVIDENCE, R.I.. - The Providence Bruins won its third consecutive game on Saturday night with a 3-2 victory over the Rochester Americans. Jakub Lauko and Anders Bjork both scored in the second period and Oskar Steen recorded the game-winning goal in the third period for Providence. Max Lagace tallied 30 saves on 32 shots in his second win of the season.
"It was a slower start and a fast finish," said Jay Leach, head coach of the Bruins. "I thought for the most part we were good against a good team.
"He (Lagace) made huge saves in the third for us when we needed it. Whether it's off his knob, whether it's a two-pad stack - he's making saves. You're not going to win without goaltending like that. He was huge for us. He's been great."
THOUGHTS FROM THE PLAYERS
Oskar Steen (Game-winning goal)
"It feels like we're a strong team. It's hard to score against us. We have two good goalies and good defense. It feels like we're a good winning team that can win even if we don't play our best game."
Paul Carey (2 shots)
"It feels great. That was a huge win. It was back-and-forth hockey tonight and Max kept us in it. Two of our rookies stepped up with some big time goals and that's what we needed to get the win tonight. It was a character win. We could easily have just stayed back when we got that lead, but we tried to keep the pressure on them. That's a good team coming in here. For us to come away with two points is huge and we'll hope to keep this streak going into tomorrow."
Both Lauko and Steen scored their first professional goals in the win.
Urho Vaakanainen recorded his first multi-point game of the season with two assists.
Alex Petrovic recorded an assist for the second consecutive game.
Through two games, Lagace has recorded two wins and made 58 saves on 60 shots for a .967 save percentage and a 1.00 goals against average.
The Bruins will play host to the Springfield Thunderbirds on Sunday, October 13 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 3:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Beat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2
- Vladar Records Shutout as P-Bruins Defeat Laval Rocket, 3-0
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2