Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario
ONTARIO, CA. - Eagles forward Jayson Megna scored two goals in the final 2:12 of regulation and assisted on Jacob MacDonald's overtime winner, as the Eagles defeated the Ontario Reign, 4-3 on Friday. Colorado forward T.J. Tynan notched three assists in the contest, while goaltender Adam Werner stopped 33 of the 36 shots he faced to earn his first win of the season.
The opening twenty minutes of play would see Colorado go 2-for-2 on the penalty kill, while generating a pair of shorthanded opportunities in the process. The Eagles would be stymied on their lone opportunity on the man-advantage and the two teams would head to the first intermission still scoreless.
Eagles defenseman Mark Alt would open up the scoring just 35 seconds into the second period when he buried a slapshot from the blueline. The goal was Alt's first of the season and gave Colorado the early 1-0 advantage.
Ontario would strike back when forward Martin Frk collected his own rebound on top of the crease and fed the puck past Werner to knot the game at 1-1 at the 6:02 mark of the middle frame.
The Reign would then grab its first lead of the night when defenseman Mikey Anderson fired a shot from the blue line that would deflect off an Eagles defender and into the back of the net, putting Ontario on top, 2-1 with 9:05 left to play in the second period.
Still trailing 2-1 to start the final 20 minutes of action, Colorado's deficit would grow at the 8:33 mark of the period when forward Mikey Eyssimont lifted a shot from the side of the crease over the leg pad of Werner to stretch the Reign's lead to 3-1.
As time began to tick down in the contest, Megna would drive hard between the circles before muscling a backhander past Peterson to slice Ontario's advantage to 3-2 with 2:12 still left to play. The Eagles would then opt to pull Werner in favor of the extra attacker and would then give their rally a boost after earning a power play, as Reign defenseman Ryan Stanton was sent off for tripping with just 51 seconds remaining. The Eagles would generate a quality chance in tight and the rebound would find its way on to the tape of Megna who would snap the puck home to tie the game at 3-3 with only 25 seconds left in regulation.
As the game shifted into overtime, a rush down the ice for Colorado would set up Megna to find MacDonald in the slot, allowing the defenseman to blister a shot past Peterson to give Colorado the 4-3 victory.
The Eagles finished the night going 1-for-3 on the power play, while also going a perfect 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. Colorado outshot the Reign in the contest by a final count of 38-36.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles travel to take on the Milwaukee Admirals on Friday, October 18th at 6:00pm MT.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.