Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey
(Allentown, PA) - The Hershey Bears visited the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for their first of six trips to the PPL Center in 2019-20. Travis Boyd scored in overtime to lift the Bears to a thrilling, 4-3 overtime win on Saturday night for their first win of the season.
Both teams went tit-for-tat in the opening stanza and totaled four goals combined on 21 total shots. Lehigh Valley struck first only 3:26 into the hockey game on a deflection in front of Bears goaltender Vitek Vanecek. Philippe Myers threw the puck near the net from the right point, and Maksim Sushko recorded his first goal of the season on a redirection. Only 2:09 later, Beck Malenstyn willed his way to the net to even the score at 5:35. After Matt Moulson was boxed for holding, Malenstyn found a loose puck and raced to the net on a shorthanded chance before beating Phantoms goaltender J.F. Berube on a backhand.
The Phantoms regained a 2-1 advantage at 13:03 after Joel Farabee finished a cross-ice pass on a quick transition play. Hershey countered and tied the game once more after converting on the power play for the second time this season. At 16:40, Christian Djoos held the puck at the center point and drew two penalty killers out of position. Djoos setup Mike Sgarbossa all alone on the backdoor for the easy tap in. Shots after 20 minutes were 13-8 Hershey, and 22-17 Hershey after 40 minutes following a scoreless second period.
Into the third period, the Bears would fall behind for a third time before rallying. Isaac Ratcliffe gave Lehigh Valley the lead on a delayed penalty at 3:54. Hershey's equalizer came at 11:57 after executing a transition play perfectly in the offensive zone. Sgarbossa and Matt Moulson setup Boyd on the backdoor for a highlight reel goal. The 3-3 deadlock carried into sudden-death overtime, where Boyd would provide the heroics. On the power play, Boyd blasted a shot past Berube at 4:59 to lift the Bears to a thrilling 4-3 win.
Hershey finished the night 2-for-6 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. Final shots were 32-26 in favor of the Bears. Hershey's record improved to 1-1-1-0 on the season with the victory.
The Hershey Bears return to action tomorrow, Sunday, October 13 at 5 PM against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. It's Advance Auto Parts Car Magnet Night for the first 5,000 fans. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM
- Bears Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-2 Decision in Springfield
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM