Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins
Wilkes-Barre, PA - Reid Boucher scored twice and Lukas Jasek earned the overtime winner as the Utica Comets defeated the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins by a 4-3 margin on Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena.
After a majority of the first period was spent with the two teams feeling each other out, the Comets cracked things open at the 17:40 mark of the opening frame. Carter Camper tied up his man in the face-off dot in the attacking zone, allowing Boucher to collect the puck before stepping to his left to wire a wrist shot over the leg of Emil Larmi.
Two minutes later, Boucher doubled the Comets' lead with his second goal of the night. Working the perimeter on the power play, Olli Juolevi was fed by Nikolay Goldobin for a one-timer at the blue line. Juolevi's shot rattled off the skate of a Penguin and slid flat to Boucher who snapped it over the line for a late strike.
Using specialty teams to claw back into the game, the Penguins got on the board 3:13 into the second period. A long shot from David Warsofsky was knocked down on its way to the goal and Stefan Noesen cashed in on the chaos in front of the goal. Just over five minutes later and on another man-up try, Warsofsky blasted a long one-timer from the line that beat Zane McIntyre, tying the game at two.
Carrying their momentum into the third, the Penguins took their first lead of the game at the 8:56 mark of the period. Coming out of the box after serving a penalty, Anthony Angello had the puck cleared ahead for a breakaway that allowed him to slip a shot into the back of the net.
Throwing everything they had at the net, the Comets generated a late equalizer with under three minutes remaining in the game. Ashton Sautner curled deep with the puck and sent it in front of the net where Carter Bancks knifed the puck into the back of the net. Bancks' dramatic goal tied the game at three and sent it into an overtime session.
After McIntyre came up with a handful of critical saves early in overtime, a Comets counter attack generated the eventual game winner. Sven Baertschi found Brogan Rafferty drifting into space in the attacking zone, and Rafferty dished a backdoor feed to Jasek for a one-touch into the net for a 4-3 triumph.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.