Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss
BELLEVILLE - The Binghamton Devils collected a three-point weekend on the road after a 5-4 overtime loss to the Belleville Senators on Saturday night.
Chris Conner kicked the scoring off for Binghamton just 47 seconds into the game. Conner collected a rebound at the bottom of the left wing circle and beat goaltender Filip Gustavsson for his second in as many games to give the Devils a 1-0 lead. Assists on the early goal for Binghamton were credited to Joey Anderson and Ben Street.
Street helped set up the first power-play goal of the season for the Devils. Street fed Conner on the left side of the net and he hit Brett Seney with a pass who let a shot go immediately that beat Gustavsson for a 2-0 lead. Seney's goal was his second of the season with helpers from Conner and Street at 11:45 of the first. Binghamton took the two-goal lead into the intermission and Gilles Senn stopped all seven shots he faced for the Devils.
Belleville started the comeback in the second period on a double deflection. Jordan Murray played a shot from the point that deflected off of Drake Batherson and Logan Brown before beating Senn just 3:55 into the period. The goal was Brown's first of the night and first of the year with the assists from Batherson and Murray to decrease Binghamton's lead to 2-1.
Shortly after, Ryan Schmelzer connected for his first of the season on an amazing move in the offensive zone. Schmelzer took a long pass from Brandon Gignac and went through the defender and lifted the puck over the shoulder of Gustavsson for a 3-1 lead at 7:06 of the second.
Brown recorded his second goal of the period and season as he slid in a Nick Paul pass at the top of the crease to pull the Senators back within a goal. The goal came at 9:19 of the middle period with assists from Paul and Batherson and the Devils' lead was just one.
Jack Dougherty tied the game at three on a shot from the blue line with just 1:39 left in the second with assists from Batherson and Paul. Shots on net after 40 minutes were also even at 19.
Just 5:43 into the final period, Michael McLeod gave the Devils a one-goal lead. After a chance was denied, Conner fed McLeod at the top of the crease and he tapped the puck by the left leg pad of Gustavsson for his first of the season. The goal gave the Devils a 4-3 lead with helpers from Conner and Nathan Bastian.
Paul tied the game for the Senators with 4:20 left in the third period. Brown took a pass from Batherson and fed Paul who snapped the puck over the right shoulder of Senn for his first of the season to even the game, 4-4.
In overtime, Batherson capped off his five-point night with the overtime winner at 4:32 for a 5-4 comeback win. Senn stopped 29 of 34 in the loss while Gustavsson put aside 27 of 31 in the win.
The Devils return home Saturday, October 19 as they host the Hartford Wolf Pack at 7:05 p.m. College students can get $10 tickets and your choice of a free drink or slider at Craft! Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Download the FREE Binghamton Devils mobile app for Apple and Android. Get live score updates and breaking news notifications right to your phone!
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils goaltender Gilles Senn vs. the Belleville Senators
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.