Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1
The Gulls continued a season-opening three-game road trip with a 5-1 loss to the San Jose Barracuda at SAP Center.
Hunter Dew scored his first professional goal and point on the power play at 14:22. Kiefer Sherwood collected his second point in as many games with the primary assist and Blake Pietila earned his first point (assist) as a Gull.
Anthony Stolarz made 37 saves in the setback.
Antoine Morand made his professional debut after being selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round (60th overall) of the 2017 NHL Draft.
Gulls will conclude their season-opening road trip against the Stockton Heat tomorrow at Stockton Arena (6 p.m.) before returning to San Diego to host Stockton in their home opener Friday, Oct. 18 at Pechanga Arena San Diego (7 p.m.).
San Diego Gulls
On the game
I guess just moving the puck and getting the puck on net. I don't think we had enough shots tonight and I don't think we tested that goalie enough. We're playing tomorrow, that's something we're going to look forward to.
On San Jose
That's a fast team, they play fast. You have to give them credit. We kind of shot ourselves in the foot early. We have to be better than that. Like I said, we're playing tomorrow.
On his first professional goal
It's nice to score a goal, but I wish it meant a little more. Late in a loss isn't exactly how I drew it up, but yeah, it's nice.
On moving forward
I think there's a lot to learn for everyone. (Stolarz) kept us in that game the entire time. We didn't really help him out, myself especially. Like I said, tomorrow will be a lot better.
Head Coach Kevin Dineen
On the game
If you don't play hard, what happened to us tonight is going to happen to you. There's a lot of different areas that we have to improve on. Certainly our effort has to be much higher. We left our goalie out to dry way too many times. I was proud of the way Stolarz battled but your goalie can't be your hardest working player or else you're in trouble.
On special teams
It made a huge difference. We couldn't generate anything on the power play. Early in the first period our game was fine and then we took a couple penalties, too many men and then a slashing penalty. Two unnecessary penalties. Those are the ones that end up biting you in the tail and they certainly did tonight.
On playing Stockton tomorrow
I don't think you want to sit on this game for too long. We have belief in our group here and expect a much better effort tomorrow night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.