Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins
(Providence, RI) ... A late goal by the Providence Bruins (3-0-0-0) in the final minute of regulation ultimately proved to be the difference as the Rochester Americans (2-1-0-0) came up short in suffering their first loss of the 2019-20 season Saturday at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
Amerks forward Jean-Sebastien Dea scored his first goal of the season and as an Amerk while C.J. Smith also tallied his first of the campaign. Goaltender Jonas Johansson stopped 27 of 30 shots in his season debut but was dealt the loss.
Along with Oskar Steen, who provided the late-game heroics for Providence, Jakub Lauko lit the lamp for the first time of the young season while Anders Bjork rounded the scoring for the Bruins, who improved to 8-1-0-0 in the last nine meetings against Rochester. Netminder Max Lagace made 30 saves in the Bruins crease and pushed his record to 2-0-0 in his second appearance with the club.
It seemed the contest between Rochester and Providence was going to be decided beyond regulation with the score even at two goals apiece as the third-period clock was nearing all zeroes. However, Steen made his way in-between the face-off dots in the Amerks zone and beat Johansson with a shot with just 56 seconds remaining in regulation.
Rochester attempted to force overtime as they pulled Johansson in favor of the extra attacker, but the final push came up short as the Amerks dropped their first tilt of the season, 3-2.
Things started well for Rochester as they capitalized on their first power-play chance of the contest late in the opening period. Dea was sprung into the offensive zone from a Jacob Bryson outlet pass and gathered the puck at the blueline before tucking a shot under the crossbar with 2:05 left in the first frame.
The power-play marker from Bryson and Scott Wilson was Dea's 200th professional point and first as an Amerk.
Despite trailing after the first 20 minutes of play, Providence quickly turned the one-goal deficit into a 2-1 lead as they tallied a pair of goals exactly two minutes apart as Lauko and Bjork found the back of the net prior to the 7:00 mark.
The scoring in the second period continued on the ensuing shift after Bjork's goal as Curtis Lazar won a face-off to Smith to the right of Lagace. Gathering the puck near the hash marks in the Providence zone, Smith rifled in his first goal of the season to knot the score at 2-2 at the 12:20 mark.
The matchup remained tied until the final minute of regulation when Steen took a pass from Ryan Fitzgerald and gave Providence the victory.
The Amerks put the finishing touches on their first three-in-three of the season on Sunday, Oct. 13 at XL Center when they meet the Hartford Wolf Pack in the final stop of their weekend trek through the Atlantic Division. Sunday's 3:00 p.m. matinee against Harford can be heard live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: J. Dea (1), C.J. Smith (1)
PRO: J. Lauko (1), A. Bjork (2), O. Steen (1 - GWG)
ROC: J. Johansson - 27/30 (L)
PRO: M. Lagace - 30/32 (W)
ROC: PP (1/2) | PK (4/5)
PRO: PP (1/5) | PK (1/2)
1. O. Steen (PRO)
2. A. Bjork (PRO)
3. J. Dea (ROC)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Celebrating Fan Appreciation Week, Presented by UR Medicine Orthopaedics & Physical Performance
- Amerks Recognized at 2020 AHL Team Business Spring Series Meetings for Business Excellence
- Sabres Announce Changes to Amerks Hockey Operations Department
- Amerks Honorary Captain Video Series Named 2020 Bronze Telly Award Winner
- Amerks Announce Year-End Team Award Winners for 2019-20 Season