Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM
(Allentown, PA) - Tonight, the Hershey Bears hit the road for the first time in the 2019-20 regular season with a Saturday night visit against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Last season, the Bears won their 12-game season-series against the Phantoms by posting a 6-4-1-1 record, including a 2-3-0-1 line at the PPL Center. Tonight will mark the 245th all-time regular season meeting between the Bears and Phantoms, dating back to the Philadelphia Phantoms's inaugural season in 1996-97. Hershey's all-time record versus the Phantoms is 116-87-8-19-14 (W-L-T-OTL-SOL), and 26-21-5-8 since the franchise relocated to Lehigh Valley in 2014-15.
Hershey Bears (0-1-1-0) at Lehigh Valley Phantoms (1-1-0-0)
October 12, 2019 | 7:05 PM | Game #3 | PPL Center
Referees: Patrick Hanrahan (52), Alex Ross (7)
Linesmen: Bob Goodman (90), Tyler Loftus (11)
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:35 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, WOYK 1350-AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch and Matt Trust on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
LAST TIME OUT:
The Hershey Bears return to action after dropping a tight, 2-1 overtime decision to the Providence Bruins at Giant Center last Sunday. Mike Sgarbossa scored the only goal for the Chocolate and White at 10:26 of the second period to erase a 1-0 deficit. Pheonix Copley stopped 22 of 24 shots and earned third-star honors in his first AHL start since Apr. 8, 2018. While the Bears were idle last night, Lehigh Valley cruised to their first win of the season, beating the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins by a 4-1 count. Phantoms goals were scored by Kurtis Gabriel, Mikhail Vorobyev, Joel Farabee, and Chris Bigras.
I'LL HAVE BURGDOERFER FOR 600:
Tonight will mark the 600th professional game for Bears blueliner, Erik Burgdoerfer. The rugged 6-foot-1, 207 pound defenseman returned to Hershey this season after captaining the Belleville Senators in 2018-19, and serving as an alternate captain in 2017-18. The veteran has climbed the ranks by appearing in 272 ECHL games, 319 AHL, and eight NHL appearances entering tonight dating back to 2010. The RPI product helped the Chocolate and White to the 2016 Calder Cup Finals before later making his NHL debut on Dec. 5, 2016 with the Buffalo Sabres against the Washington Capitals.
BIG BOYD RETURNS:
Hershey forward Travis Boyd is slated to make his season debut tonight for the Chocolate and White. The center, who scored 20 points (five goals, 15 assists) in 53 games with the Washington Capitals last year, returns to Hershey just in time. The native of Hopkins, Minnesota has thrived in his AHL career versus Lehigh Valley. Boyd scored his first AHL points (one goal, one assist) versus Lehigh Valley on Apr. 18, 2015 and hasn't stopped scoring versus the Phantoms since. Boyd, Hershey's Team MVP for both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons, has tallied 40 points (16 goals, 24 assists) in 36 career regular season contests versus Lehigh Valley.
The Bears and Phantoms are set to kick-off another 12-game season-series throughout 2019-20. In 2018-19, Hershey bested Lehigh Valley with a 6-4-1-1 record in 12 meetings, claiming 14 of 24 standings points. Among returning Bears, Connor Hobbs led the team with seven points (two goals, five assists) against the Phantoms. Mike Sgarobssa appeared in all 12 matches and tallied five points (four goals, one assist). Beck Malenstyn's four of his seven professional goals have came at the expense of Lehigh Valley. In net, Vitek Vanecek posted a 3-2-1 record with a 2.82 goals against average and .901 save percentage against the Phantoms last season.
Two players enter this weekend for the Chocolate and White with points in each of the previous two games. Mike Sgarbossa opened the regular season with an assist on Oct. 5 versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton before scoring the next night against Providence. It's the third straight season Sgarbossa cracked the score sheet in both games during Opening Weekend. Last season, Sgarbossa scored in Hershey's first two games of the season on Oct. 6, 2018 and Oct. 7, 2018 at Giant Center en route to an eventual 30-goal season. In 2017-18, Sgarobssa tallied four points (two goals, two assists) for the Manitoba Moose to kickoff the season on Oct. 6, 2017 and Oct. 7, 2017 against the Grand Rapids Griffins. Additionally, Matt Moulson has a point in each game with the Bears through one weekend, scoring on Oct. 5, and adding an assist on Oct. 6.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.