Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season
Drake Batherson buried the overtime winner at 4:32 to give the Belleville Senators a 5-4 win over the Binghamton Devils.
Belleville's Logan Brown (2), Jack Dougherty and Nick Paul scored in regulation while Filip Gustavsson made 23 saves in his first start of the season. Chris Conner, Brett Seney, Ryan Schmelzer and Michael McLeod had goals for the Devils while Gilles Senn stopped 25 shots.
In the extra frame, Batherson streaked in and beat Senn with a nifty move to cap a memorable night with 28 seconds left as he had a four assist night too.
Tied at 3-3 heading into the third, the Senators nearly grabbed the lead through JC Beaudin as he hit the post from the right slot, but Binghamton restored its lead at 5:43 as McLeod tapped in Conner's pass from the corner after he had driven the net for a 4-3 advantage.
Belleville once again hit the post as this time Klimchuk was the unlucky Senator but they found their tying goal with 4:20 to play through Paul who buried a beautiful wrister up past Senn's blocker to make it 4-4 to send the game to overtime.
It took all of 47 seconds for the Devils to jump ahead as Conner buried a rebound in-tight after Gustavsson had turned away Joey Anderson's initial shot as he scored against Belleville for the second time in as many nights.
The Devils doubled its lead as with Jack Rodewald in the penalty box Seney buried his second of the year on a rebound at 11:45 for a 2-0 advantage.
Belleville nearly got on the board in the closing stages as Drake Batherson's one-timer was denied by Michael Carcone hit the post as the Sens went into the first intermission down 2-0.
The Senators got on the board at 3:55 of the second as Jordan Murray's point shot was tipped by Batherson, and then Brown, to get through Senn for his first goal of the season.
The one goal deficit was short-lived as with the Sens on the power play, Murray was penalized for a questionable hit that set-up a 4-on-4 that saw Schmelzer beat Gustavsson on a partial breakaway at 7:06.
Belleville came roaring back though as Brown grabbed his second of the game as he buried Nick Paul's centering pass from literally inside the crease at 9:19 before Dougherty bagged his first in a Sens jersey with 1:39 left in the period as a rolling puck found him in the slot before unleashing a wrister past Senn.
Murray registered his 50th career point with Belleville while Paul played his 100th game for the Sens.
The Sens return to action Friday night when they host Hershey for the only time this season. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.