Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win
STOCKTON, Calif. - Eetu Tuulola's first professional goal proved pivotal, finishing as the game-winner as the Stockton Heat improved to 3-0 for the first time in team history with a 5-3 win over San Diego Saturday night at Stockton Arena. The marker was one of two points on the night for Tuulola, who was joined by Brandon Davidson and Glenn Gawdin in scoring their first goals of the season. Six Heat players registered multi-point efforts on the night, led by Davidson and Gawdin with three points each and Tuulola, Ryan Lomberg, Byron Froese and Dillon Dube with a pair, respectively. The Heat coughed up the first goal of the game early but responded with four-consecutive goals to take control of the game until a late push by San Diego tightened the gap at 4-3. Buddy Robinson finished off the game with an empty-netter to produce the 5-3 final score. The contest was another strong performance from the penalty kill, which went 5-for-5 in the home opener.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (24 shots, 21 saves)
L: Kevin Boyle (31 shots, 27 saves)
Three Stars: First - Eetu Tuulola (1g,1a), Second - Brandon Davidson (1g,2a), Third - Ryan Lomberg (1g,1a)
Final Shots: STK - 32, SD - 24
Power Plays: STK - 1-4, SD - 0-5
- Ryan Lomberg became the most tenured Heat player of all time, playing in his 201st game. He scored his first goal of the season in the second period. Eetu Tuulola's assist on Lomberg's goal was his first professional point.
- Tuulola later scored to put Stockton ahead 4-1, his first professional goal.
- Glenn Gawdin's first-period goal was his first marker of the season. Dillon Dube recorded his first point of the campaign with an assist.
- Brandon Davidson tallied his first goal of the season to put Stockton ahead 3-1, his first score since February 17 of last year - also against San Diego.
- Six players registered multi-point games for Stockton, including Gawdin and Davidson with three points each and Tuulola, Lomberg, Froese and Dube with two.
- The Heat improved to 3-0 for the first time in team history.
- Official attendance on the night was 4,401.
The Heat play host to Pacific Division foe Bakersfield Tuesday night at Stockton Arena, a 7 p.m. puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2019
- Heat Push Past San Diego in Home-Opening Win - Stockton Heat
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Top Wild 2-1 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Despite a Great Effort, the Rocket Defeated 4-2 by the Admirals in Milwaukee - Laval Rocket
- Chicago Wolves Earn Shootout Triumph - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Win Third Straight - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Boyd Scores in Overtime to Lift Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Batherson Buries OT Winner for Sens First Win of Season - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Battle with Crunch Ends in 6-3 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Earn Three-Point Weekend in 5-4 OT Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Jasek's Overtime Heroics Lead Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Double up Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Beat Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Suffer Shutout Loss to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint - Rockford IceHogs
- Dansk to Vegas; Ferguson Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Set to Close out Doubleheader in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Host Gulls in Home Opener - Stockton Heat
- Sturtz Reassigned to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Devils, October 12 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Game Preview - October 12 at Providence Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Reign Succumbs to Colorado Rally in OT - Ontario Reign
- Moose Drop Home Opener to Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Roar Back for 4-3 OT Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Gulls Tripped up at San Jose 5-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Comes from Behind in Third Straight Game for 5-4 Victory - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.