Oilers Apologize to Falcons Fans
Springfield, MA - The Springfield Falcons and Edmonton Oilers released today the following statement regarding the 2009-10 season:
"We are in the business of winning hockey games and we failed miserably in Springfield this season," stated Kevin Prendergast, Edmonton Oilers Assistant General Manager and Vice President of Hockey Operations. "On behalf of the Oilers we apologize to the fans in Springfield who have supported this team through a very difficult year. We will begin plans immediately in addressing the problems on the ice this season and promise that we will do everything we can to put a more competitive and winning team on the ice next year."
The Falcons will be entering their 16th American Hockey League season at the start of the 2009-10 campaign.
"Kevin and the entire Oilers organization are very disappointed in what has happened this past year," added Springfield Falcons President and General Manager Bruce Landon. "We can't dwell on the past but only focus on the challenges ahead. There are obviously going to be a number of changes that have to be made. I will get together with the coaching staff over the next couple of weeks to evaluate our current roster. We will then meet with Kevin before the end of the season and put a plan together for what has to be done during the off season."
The Falcons and Oilers will enter the third year of their affiliation agreement next year. Springfield has been home to seven Calder Cup championships, while Edmonton has won five Stanley Cup championships.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2009
- Aeros tally three unanswered to earn 3-1 victory over Quad City - Houston Aeros
- Aeros snap Flames winning streak - Abbotsford Heat
- Devils Jolted By Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Albany Devils
- Lessard's late goal gives Sound Tigers 2-1 win over Lowell - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Beat Pirates 3-1 - Portland Pirates
- iCarly Star JENNETTE McCURDY to sign autographs at Sharks game on Sunday presented by Irving Oil! - Worcester Sharks
- San Jose Sharks recall defenseman Derek Jolsin from Worchester - Worcester Sharks
- MacIntyre Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Marlies Add Three Players to Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Recall Goaltender Maxime Daigneault from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Board of Governors upholds suspension of Norfolk's Steve Downie - AHL
- Marlies Acquire Jay Rosehill From Norfolk - Toronto Marlies
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros announce Calder Cup playoffs ticket packages - Houston Aeros
- Houston Aeros host Quad City Flames, Jerseys Off Their Backs begins tonight - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Trade Forward Jay Rosehill to Toronto - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins On The Road For Four Games - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Dark Hammy To Take Over The Metrocentre - Rockford IceHogs
- Lightning Recall D Richard Petiot From Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Brent Recalled To Chicago, Mosienko Signed By Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Announce Details of AmeriCU Credit Union 'Night at the Crunch' - Syracuse Crunch
- Sergio Momesso Named Interim Assistant Coach Of Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Oilers Apologize to Falcons Fans - Springfield Falcons
- Panthers Recall Defenseman Keaton Ellerby - Rochester Americans
- Time Warner Cable Al the Ice Gorilla Bobble Head Night set for March 14 - Syracuse Crunch
- 14th Annual Genesis Jersey Auction at i wireless Center on Saturday - Abbotsford Heat
- Flames Win Three Straight To Close Week - Abbotsford Heat
- Flames Reassign Brett Sutter To Quad City - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolf Pack Release Forward Matthew Ford from PTO - Connecticut Whale
- Rats Host Food Drive This Weekend - Albany River Rats
- Hall Of Fame Reception Set For Friday - Binghamton Senators
- Hockey Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Sign Defenseman Matt Taormina - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch, Mahar to Sell 100 'Mystery Autographed' Pucks - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Reassign Forward David Van Der Gulik To Quad - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Continue Three Game Road Swing; Return Home On Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Caputi, D'Aversa Return To Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.