NHLer Mashinter Joins Rush
(RAPID CITY, SD) - The Rapid City Rush announced today that former NHLer Brandon Mashinter has been signed by the team ahead of their stretch of six consecutive matchups, and three on the road this week, against the Idaho Steelheads. In a separate transaction, forward Alec Baer has been released.
"I can't express how excited I am to have a player of Brandon's caliber on my team," Rush Head Coach Daniel Tetrault said of Mashinter's acquisition. "He'll bring a great deal of leadership to our young team. This stretch of games is very important for us. We don't want to be a .500 team. We're looking to gain ground on the division and separate ourselves from the bottom, and Brandon will help tremendously with that."
Mashinter comes to the Rush after most recently playing in the AHL with the San Jose Barracuda last year. The 6'4", 212-pound forward played in 64 games in San Jose, earning 11 goals, 18 assists, and 29 points, and appeared in an additional 3 playoff games.
"On top of his leadership, Brandon brings size and toughness, and will add to the already sterling compete level and work ethic of my locker room," Tetrault added on Mashinter. "Brandon has consistently proven he can play at a high level, having recorded roughly 30 points or more in almost all nine seasons that he's played at the AHL level. His NHL experience is also invaluable: he can teach our young team what it takes to play at a high level, and what it means to be a professional hockey player. Again, I can't express how excited I am to have him join our club."
A native of Bradford, Ontario, Mashinter, 30, enters his 10th season as a professional hockey player. The vast majority of his career has been played at the AHL level, where in appearances with the Rockford IceHogs, San Jose Barracuda, Worcester Sharks, and Hartford Wolfpack/Connecticut Whale, he compiled totals of 126 goals, 135 assists, 261 points, and 645 PIM in 535 games. On four different occasions, Mashinter has played in the NHL with the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, and New York Rangers, appearing in a total of 64 games with 5 points to his credit (1g-4ast). Before turning professional, he played his junior hockey in the OHL with the Sarnia Sting, Kitchener Rangers, and Belleville Bulls, earning 100 points in 242 games (57g-43ast). In 2008 with Kitchener, he claimed the OHL Championship.
The Rush now begin a stretch of six consecutive matchups against the Idaho Steelheads, with the first three games coming next week at CenturyLink Arena. Puck drop for game one is slated for 7:10 p.m. MST on Wednesday, November 14th.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 12, 2018
- Admirals Earn a Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss at Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- IceMen Win First Shootout of Season - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Acquire Breton from Kansas City - Maine Mariners
- More Seats Released for All-Star Weekend - Toledo Walleye
- Railers 2.0 Host Four Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Week - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - November 12 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks, Mariners Announce Future Considerations Trade - Kansas City Mavericks
- McFarland Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 12 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, November 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Grab 2 More W's - Toledo Walleye
- Lorentz Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- 3-D Jerseys Featured on ESPN, NBC Sports, with More to Come - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, November 12th - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Host Orlando Before Flying North for Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Gladiators Sign Forward Freschi, Bonar Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- NHLer Mashinter Joins Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Week 5: Komets Collect Four Points from Rapid City - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Wings Hitting the Road to Toledo and Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Utah Grizzlies Begin 6 Game Homestand Wednesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday Report: November 12 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 12 - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Earn a Point in Shootout Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.