Swamp Rabbits Weekly
The week that was saw a mixed bag for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. The week began with a close, one-goal loss at the hands of the Norfolk Admirals that saw the Swamp Rabbits claw within a goal twice, but it was a late tally by the Admirals that led to the one-goal loss. That night saw the Rabbits fire a season-high 41 shots on goal, and end a streak of 100 minutes and 26 seconds of shutout hockey, but ultimately, it was the visitors that came out on top.
A trip north was next in the plans for Greenville, and in the end, the team ended up with a split with the Wheeling Nailers. The Rabbits gave up two first period tallies, and a backbreaking power play goal against in the third period en route to a 5-1 loss.
In a feat that has to be some sort of record, Jake Bolton connected on four consecutive goals for the Swamp Rabbits throughout the week, with two goals against Norfolk, one more against Wheeling Friday, and the first goal against Wheeling on Saturday. He got some help from fellow defenseman Trevor Owens on the second goal of the night, as Greenville came out on fire. They outshot the opposition 10-4 in the first period, and outscored them 2-0. Wheeling had some comeback magic to tie the game at two, but it was in overtime where Greenville could celebrate.
Austen Brassard picked up a miss from defenseman Sean Flanagan, skated into the high slot, and made no mistake. His goal sent Greenville onto the bus happy, and heading into Cincinnati to close out the road swing, and return home.
11/5 vs. Norfolk - L 3-2
11/9 @ Wheeling - L 5-1
11/10 @ Wheeling - W 3-2
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Jake Bolton - 3 GP | 4 G - 0 A - 4 P
Call it the Rabbits Report effect. Since starring on the ESPN Upstate program, Bolton scored four consecutive goals for the Swamp Rabbits this past week- all slap shots. He ranks tied for second in defensive goal scoring with his cannon from the point. The rugged d-man has not shown any hesitancy to shoot the puck, as his 30 shots on goal trail only Austen Brassard (33) and Johno May (39). 2 of his 4 goals came on the power play, which has heated up over the past week, and has risen to 16th in the league at 15.4%, and has been one of the most prolific, with the fourth-most goals scored (10).
Austen Brassard's OT winner against the Wheeling Nailers moved him into the top spot in team scoring with 12 points, and tied for eighth in league scoring. He also holds the team's second-best shooting percentage among regulars in the lineup (15.2%).
Garrett Bartus continues to be one of the more busy goaltenders in the ECHL. He ranks second in minutes played (667) and third in saves (343). Only Newfoundland's Michael Garteig has played in more games, played more minutes, and made more saves.
The Swamp Rabbits may have taken 243 minutes in penalties this season- third most in the league behind Rapid CIty's 281 and Allen's 282, but the Rabbits have also forced their opponents to take 245 minutes in penalties, which is second-most in the league.
Saturday's win improved the team's overtime record to 2-1. Chris Izmirlian, just a short time ago, sent the Swamp Rabbits home happy with his OT marker to end an entertaining game against the Orlando Solar Bears. Austen Brassard added to that with his goal on Saturday night. That goal led to Greenville's first road win of the season.
Tuesday, November 13 | @ Cincinnati Cyclones | 10:30 a.m.
Watch | Listen Exclusively on ESPN Upstate
Thursday, November 15 | vs. Norfolk Admirals | 7:00 p.m.
Watch | Listen | Tickets
Saturday, November 17 | vs. Jacksonville Icemen | 7:00 p.m.
Watch | Listen | Tickets - Heroes Night
Sunday, November 18 | vs. Wheeling Nailers | 3:00 p.m.
Watch | Listen | Tickets - Postgame Skate with the Swamp Rabbits
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Norfolk Admirals (8-4-0-0) - 16 pts
Orlando Solar Bears (7-3-1-0) - 15 pts
Jacksonville Icemen (7-4-0-0) - 14 pts
South Carolina Stingrays (6-6-0-0) - 12 pts
Florida Everblades (5-3-2-0) - 12 pts
Atlanta Gladiators (4-4-2-0) - 10 pts
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (4-8-1-0) - 9 pts
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits defenseman Jake Bolton (19) vs. the Wheeling Nailers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 12, 2018
- Admirals Earn a Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss at Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- IceMen Win First Shootout of Season - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Acquire Breton from Kansas City - Maine Mariners
- More Seats Released for All-Star Weekend - Toledo Walleye
- Railers 2.0 Host Four Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Week - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - November 12 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks, Mariners Announce Future Considerations Trade - Kansas City Mavericks
- McFarland Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 12 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, November 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Grab 2 More W's - Toledo Walleye
- Lorentz Recalled to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- 3-D Jerseys Featured on ESPN, NBC Sports, with More to Come - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, November 12th - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Host Orlando Before Flying North for Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Gladiators Sign Forward Freschi, Bonar Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- NHLer Mashinter Joins Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Week 5: Komets Collect Four Points from Rapid City - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Wings Hitting the Road to Toledo and Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Utah Grizzlies Begin 6 Game Homestand Wednesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 5 - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday Report: November 12 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 12 - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Earn a Point in Shootout Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Longtime AHL Pro Ryan Horvat Signed by Greenville
- AIC Product Ryan Polin Inks Deal with Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits to Play Home-And-Home Preseason Set with Stingrays
- Goaltender Kyle Hayton Agrees to Terms with Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2019-2020 Promotional Schedule