Nailers Offense Cooking in Coralville
CORALVILLE, IA - The Wheeling Nailers had their offense rolling on Friday night, as they set a season high with seven goals in a 7-4 victory over the Iowa Heartlanders at Xtream Arena. Will Reilly and Justin Almeida both contributed in a big way with two goals and an assist, as Reilly has six points in two games as a Nailer. Nick Hutchison extended his point streak to eight with a goal and an assist, Patrick Watling extended his point streak to six with a helper, and rookie Cam Hausinger had his best game with three assists.
The Nailers got things going quickly, as they pounced on a pair of power play opportunities to take a 2-0 lead. The first marker came at the 9:48 mark. Justin Almeida and Dylan MacPherson exchanged passes on the left side, before Almeida stepped up and roofed a wrist shot from the left circle. Later in the stanza, Wheeling struck again. Cam Hausinger drove down the left side of the ice, then dropped a pass off in the left circle, which was thrusted home by Will Reilly into the bottom-right corner of the cage.
The second period got off to a scary start for the Nailers, as Iowa scored twice in a span of 12 seconds to draw even. Both goals were scored by Alex Khovanov, who whipped in a pair of wrist shots from the right side of the slot. Wheeling recovered well, and retook control of the contest. At the 2:55 mark, the visitors connected on a beautiful three-way passing play, as Patrick Watling slid the puck to Almeida, who led Nick Hutchison with a perfect feed on the right side. Hutchison walked in and slammed a one-timer into the back of the net. Less than three minutes later, the Nailers got their two-goal lead back, as Tim Doherty whipped in a shot from the right circle.
Wheeling kept the pedal to the metal in the third period to put the game away. Reilly potted his second of the night at the 3:30 mark, when he cruised down the right side and lifted a shot just under the crossbar, which was called a goal, thanks to video review. Almeida followed with his second of the contest with another gorgeous wrist shot to the top shelf, as he and Reilly both posted three-point performances. Bryce Misley and Yuki Miura tallied in the final seven minutes for the Heartlanders, before Jared Cockrell put the final nail in the coffin for the 7-4 Nailers triumph.
Alex D'Orio picked up the win for Wheeling, as he made 13 saves on 17 shots. Trevin Kozlowski took the loss for Iowa, as he gave up six goals on 38 shots.
The Nailers and Heartlanders will meet again in Iowa on Saturday at 8:00. Wheeling will then play a pair of home games next weekend. First up is a Frosty Friday against the Cincinnati Cyclones on December 3rd at 7:10. Then, on Sunday, December 5th, there will be a post game skate with even-numbered players following the 4:10 tilt against the Indy Fuel. The next Big 6 Promotional Night is Elf Night on Saturday, December 11th. Season memberships, mini plans, and single game tickets are available, and fans can get more information by calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 26, 2021
- Rush Storm Back, Beat Mavericks in OT, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Put up Six in Win over Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gazzola Nets Game-Winner as Walleye Beat Fuel in Overtime - Toledo Walleye
- Lions Romp in a 9-1 Blowout - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Nailers Offense Cooking in Coralville - Wheeling Nailers
- Khovanov Scores Twice, Landers Drop Friday vs. Wheeling - Iowa Heartlanders
- Icemen Erase Two-Goal Deficit to Defeat Blades - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Knock off the Fuel in Overtime - Indy Fuel
- Railers Set Franchise Record in 8-1 Victory Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Fall in OT Stunner - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Grounded in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cooper Scores in Big Loss to Lions - Reading Royals
- Growlers Sink the Mariners 4-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Doubled up by Growlers, 4-2 - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Claims Netminder Theut off Waivers - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Continues Homestand Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Tristin Langan Returns to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 26 - ECHL
- Admirals Name Billy Johnson New President - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Notes: at Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Everblades at Icemen, November 26, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Royals Seek Revenge in Quebec on Black Friday at Lions, Trade for Ryan Roth - Reading Royals
- Lions and Royals: Game Two of Three Tonight at the Colisée Vidéotron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades Look to Rebound Tonight in Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Icemen Edge Everblades in Shootout - Jacksonville Icemen
- Hora Signs PTO with Charlotte Checkers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.